FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVC PRO HD instead of ProRes?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Donato M. Rondinelli
DVC PRO HD instead of ProRes?
on Jan 4, 2010 at 7:26:20 pm

I have file based footage from a 2 cam shoot, HPX3700 & Canon 7D.
The 3700 was shooting in DVC PRO HD 1280x1080. I'd like to stay native in DVC Pro HD and convert the 7D footage. I hear a lot about converting 7D to ProRes, but is it OK to to convert to 1920x1080 DVC PRO HD? This would give me R/T playback through my Kona LHe. I did a test and other than a slight color shift, I see no difference. So is it OK to convert the 7D footage to DVC HD, or are there issues that I'm not aware of?

Converting everything to ProRes isn't ideal because of archiving and render time (unless DVC PRO HD is highly inferior). As soon as I get the OK, I'll upgrade the suites to FCP 7 and shoot in Intra 100. Until then, I'm looking for advice on work flow with these two cameras.

Thanks,
-dMR

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: DVC PRO HD instead of ProRes?
on Jan 4, 2010 at 7:32:25 pm

[Donato M. Rondinelli] "So is it OK to convert the 7D footage to DVC HD, or are there issues that I'm not aware of? "

Before there was ProRes the only good solution was DVCProHD. Certainly, if the rest of your material is DVCProHD it would make sense to transcode all of your b-cam footage form the 7D to the same format.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Donato M. Rondinelli
Re: DVC PRO HD instead of ProRes?
on Jan 4, 2010 at 8:02:46 pm

It seems obvious. I just wanted to run it by you guys just in case.
Thanks DRW!
-dMR

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]