FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pro Res field dominance - Canon 5D/7D

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett Nelson
Pro Res field dominance - Canon 5D/7D
on Jan 4, 2010 at 5:25:39 pm

This was partially addressed a couple months back, but I wanted to double check. When I transcode a clip from a Canon 7D via MPEG Streamclip, it comes in with upper field dominance, but FCP's default Pro Res sequence settings are none. Which do I choose? Does it matter?

Thanks!

Brett

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Pro Res field dominance - Canon 5D/7D
on Jan 4, 2010 at 6:57:27 pm

Hey Brett,

Long time no see...

These cameras shoot true progressive frames so I'm certain that everything should be set to "none."

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 4, 2010 at 8:10:59 pm

DRW is right. When FCP sees a 1080 codec, it mostly defaults to an Upper Field dominance. It's annoying. Change all your files to 'none'. When using Compressor, you can set this in metadata and it actually sticks.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Brett Nelson
on Jan 4, 2010 at 10:11:27 pm

None it is! Thank you! MPEG Streamclip doesn't give a choice to transcode with field dominance of none, but maybe that's just a quirk of it. And for all the money I give MPEG Streamclip! Jeremy, as you said, Compressor creates Pro Res clips with no field dominance, but it takes much longer. And some say the Compressor transcodes don't look as good either, though I haven't carefully compared.

David, yes, it's been a while. It's always good to see a familiar face when I stop by the FCP forum.

Happy New Year!

Brett

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 4, 2010 at 10:22:59 pm

[Brett Nelson] "And some say the Compressor transcodes don't look as good either, though I haven't carefully compared."

Interesting. Sometimes 'looks better' means 'finishes sooner' I guess.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Brett Nelson
on Jan 4, 2010 at 11:27:24 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Interesting. Sometimes 'looks better' means 'finishes sooner' I guess."

Right. Unfortunately so do "dumb and ugly"...not that I'm implying anything about any particular software program.

Brett

Return to posts index

Brett Nelson
on Jan 5, 2010 at 6:53:53 pm

I made an interesting discovery, when I transcode to Pro Res LT 720p or XDCAM EX 30p with Upper field dominance selected in MPEG Streamclip (just like I did with the clips that I transcoded to Pro Res LT 1080p) the clips show up in FCP with no field dominance. Why does transcoding to Pro Res 720p end up with no field dominance while Pro Res 1080p does. Oh well, it works to force the change to none in the sequence.

thanks,

Brett

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]