FORUMS: list search recent posts

General Error - Error: Out of Memory

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Kiersky
General Error - Error: Out of Memory
on Jan 4, 2010 at 3:07:56 pm

Hi all,

so I know similar questions have been asked, but none seem to match the way I stumbled upon it.
Ive got a 850MB quicktime h264 encoded video, 1440x1080, about 30 min long, this is the main source for the video I am editing, and the only thing other than sequence 1 in my library. I try to double click the source in my library to preview it in the viewer, and I get the dreaded 'general error' followed by 'Error: out of memory.'

Ive got a dual 2.3 g5, with 8gb of ram, Radeon x1900 with 128mb vram, two hard drives with 50gb free on each, I reset my p-ram, deleted my final cut prefs, changed the memory settings in final cut to provide more than enough spare memory to just view the clip. Ive tried other clips and it seems to be isolated to this one video.

Pulling hair out.... any ideas?

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: General Error - Error: Out of Memory
on Jan 4, 2010 at 3:25:54 pm

Bottom line, h.264 is NOT an editing codec. It is a delivery codec. Yes, it has been said many many times in this forum, you must convert your h.264 file into an editing codec (DV, HDV, DVCPro HD, ProRes).

MPEGStreamClip will do the conversion.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Aaron Kiersky
Re: General Error - Error: Out of Memory
on Jan 4, 2010 at 4:44:33 pm

Hey steve,

thanks for the response, i know that the h264 is not for editing, it is what I was given and I was trying to just make my quick edits and be done with it. im not sure if my edit to my previous post went through, I did convert them to an Animation .mov file to edit with, but to no avail. the strange part is, I can import other clips, some h264 some various lossless formats, and they all work fine.

so it seems to be isolated to the one video clip, I ended up just moving to the workstation the clips were captured on and doing my editing there.

sorry again for the repost, the posts I found dealing with the same issue were mostly on export, not just viewing the file.

thanks!
ak

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]