FORUMS: list search recent posts

Has support for Photoshop Layers gone Wonky in FCS3?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jiggy Gaton
Has support for Photoshop Layers gone Wonky in FCS3?
on Jan 2, 2010 at 8:08:34 am

Hi all, I might be doing something really stupid now, or support for PS layers went wonky with the new FCP. I used to just create all my artwork in PS layers ahead of time, and then drag and drop into FCP. The top layers and active layers were the ones displayed. Now, it all seems different. You have to actually drag out each layer in time once in FCP, and if you change the source PSD, that change is NOT reflected in FCP. It's like FCP is making an independent clip, and loosing all reference to the original. Or maybe I have just lost my mind...
thx in advance for any help...jigs

Phoenix Studios Nepal: A small A/V Production House in Kathmandu.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
walter biscardi
Re: Has support for Photoshop Layers gone Wonky in FCS3?
on Jan 2, 2010 at 2:06:24 pm

Photoshop files still work as expected here. Layers come in normally and using "Open File in Editor" to make changes still has the changes update in FCP.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Jiggy Gaton
on Jan 2, 2010 at 2:21:17 pm

Walter, that's nuts then! When I bring in a PSD now, and doubleclick on the asset, I get all my layers in a new timeline window, each layer is a track. If you have a PSD on the maintimeline, and then edit one layer to be longer, that acts like an insert edit and pushes everything to the right. This is wild! I'm going back to using pngs...there is also some other aggravating behaviors, like the distort attribute is set on every PSD import. Going to the motion tab in the viewer and creating a keyframe will help clear the attribute, eventually. Then there is no update whatsover possible...if I add a layer in the PSD, it distorts all the others on the timeline...uh oh. I am using FCP 7.01 and PS 11.0.1 in SL.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jan 2, 2010 at 2:24:50 pm

[Jiggy Gaton] "When I bring in a PSD now, and doubleclick on the asset, I get all my layers in a new timeline window, each layer is a track"

That's correct. That's how it has always worked.

[Jiggy Gaton] "If you have a PSD on the maintimeline, and then edit one layer to be longer, that acts like an insert edit and pushes everything to the right."

That's correct, it's the same behavior as a Nest. This is how it's always worked.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Jiggy Gaton
on Jan 2, 2010 at 2:26:44 pm

oh, and the kicker is that there is no longer an open in editor option for any PSDs...and that just rots.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jan 2, 2010 at 2:33:34 pm

[Jiggy Gaton] "oh, and the kicker is that there is no longer an open in editor option for any PSDs...and that just rots."

Um, yes there is. I use it daily.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Jiggy Gaton
on Jan 2, 2010 at 2:45:38 pm

I see...but open in editor is only there when you are sitting on a layer inside the PSD timeline. Either I now have advanced Alzheimers, or something changed in my workflow, where PSDs once acted more like non-layered images...but it all makes sense in my new reality. thx!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]