FORUMS: list search recent posts

Closed Captioning in FCP 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Helding
Closed Captioning in FCP 7
on Dec 31, 2009 at 11:06:39 pm

Hey everyone!

I'm hoping someone could give me some direction with closed caption in Final Cut.

I'm looking to close caption a project that will be exported as a quicktime- 1920 by 1080, but I'm having a bit of trouble.

I have a .scc file for the project but I'm not exactly sure where to go from there. I've tried to put the file into the timeline/V2, but it obviously covers the video. After looking through a couple creative cow posts, I've cropped it, but that doesn't appear to be working. I'm surely doing something wrong because when I export the video out I can still see the closed caption line and the actual caption isn't working.

Anyone with any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Ryan

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Closed Captioning in FCP 7
on Jan 1, 2010 at 1:15:20 am

It can only be done when outputting to tape. And with the aid of an AJA Kona or Matrox MXO2 capture card.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jason Livingston
on Jan 1, 2010 at 3:05:48 am

Hello Ryan,
It sounds like you're trying to use a .scc file or a black movie to caption an HD video. Both of those technologies are strictly for standard definition video only.

If you want to print to HD tape via your AJA card, you need a HD closed captions track. This can be generated by anyone using CPC's MacCaption software. If your service company doesn't have MacCaption, then CPC can convert your SCC file to the necessary format for a small fee.

However, these kinds of captions only work when printing to tape through an AJA/Blackmagic card in FCP7, or when playing the file in QuickTime player. The captions will not work if the file is used for something else, i.e. recompressed or converted to any other format. You might want to give CPC a call to discuss your goals and what workflow is best for you.

In the meantime, please see our website for more information.

Hope this helps,

Jason Livingston
CPC Closed Captioning

Return to posts index

Ryan Helding
on Jan 1, 2010 at 5:28:01 pm

Thanks for all the information! I appreciate it! Happy 2010!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]