FORUMS: list search recent posts

Help! Video not smooth

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ken wanninger
Help! Video not smooth
on Dec 31, 2009 at 6:09:16 pm

Hello,

I am having some difficulty with some video and a flash animation flickering in FCP. I am working on a doc shot & being cut in 1080i 23.98 psf (1920x1080) ProRes 422 HQ. I am noticing some flickering during pans in some of the shot footage, and definitely a lot of flickering (jumpiness?) while playing back an animation made in flash, output as quicktime animation codec. Its noticeable on both the computer monitor and the external video monitor (Sony 2450w LCD through Kona LHe). The external video settings match the timeline settings, and everything is rendered. I am wondering if this flickering is a common problem with the format/frame rate I am working with, or am I possibly missing something that should be obvious to me?

Also, a version of this doc is also going to be delivered in 29.97, will I face even bigger problems there? I would really appreciate any help or advice.

Thanks!
Ken

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
Re: Help! Video not smooth
on Dec 31, 2009 at 6:14:06 pm

Are you sure it's rendered correctly? Set Sequence > Render menus with "FULL" checked. Also, have the animation re-rendered at the same rate as your sequence. Have it rendered into ProRes rather than Animation.

Kevin Monahan
60 Blu-ray Templates for Final Cut Studio 2009
http://www.fcpworld.com
Author - Motion Graphics and Effects in Final Cut Pro

Return to posts index

ken wanninger
on Dec 31, 2009 at 6:18:13 pm

Thanks! All the settings are good in final cut pro, I will try rendering the animation into ProRes. As far as the other thing, have you ever seen stepiness in 23.98 HD video footage durning slow pans? I'm trying to figure out if its just me, or if its a common issue. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Dec 31, 2009 at 6:29:11 pm

My rule of thumb: Tell your DP to avoid big pans when shooting in 24p. There are just not enough frames to keep it looking smooth for certain panning speeds. You want smooth pans? Shoot in 60p.

Not much we as editors can do for certain mistakes made in the field.

Kevin Monahan
60 Blu-ray Templates for Final Cut Studio 2009
http://www.fcpworld.com
Author - Motion Graphics and Effects in Final Cut Pro

Return to posts index

ken wanninger
on Dec 31, 2009 at 7:03:38 pm

Thats what I told everyone! But, who listens to the Editor? Anyway, thanks for your help on this!

Ken

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]