FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to get Hd stills from video

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rachel pandza
How to get Hd stills from video
on Dec 31, 2009 at 12:15:03 am

I need to create high resolution HD picture files of screenshots from my film. They need to be a format such as Tiff with no/least amount of compression. I have the source files of the film which is HVCpro HD true 24 files which are 960x720 from the panasonic HVX-200, they are .mov files. I don't want the photos to be pixelated at all or compressed or deformed or stretched etc.

I don't know what program to use or the process to do it, so I can make it a picture file that looks the same quality as the video files

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: How to get Hd stills from video
on Dec 31, 2009 at 3:49:12 am

Simply place the footage on a timeline and Export>with QT Conversion > Still Image > Tiff > options/No Compression.

Make sure the pixel count is set to 1280x720 square. Thing will do the pixel aspect ration conversion but the image is not compressed. You can open this image up in Photoshop to adjust color just like any photo. Remember that even HD video stills are still pretty low res for still images.

Return to posts index

rachel pandza
on Jan 2, 2010 at 10:15:59 pm

I tried that but and everything works except there is not an option to change the pixels, do I have to resize the pixels and aspect ratios in photoshop?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 2, 2010 at 10:57:03 pm

[rachel pandza] "do I have to resize the pixels and aspect ratios in photoshop?
"

Affirmative, when exporting stills from anamorphic video the stills must be resized in Photoshop.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

rachel pandza
on Jan 2, 2010 at 11:41:17 pm

The video file isn't anamorphic, I want the image that results to be 16x9 but it is 4x3 or squished

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 3, 2010 at 1:12:40 am

[rachel pandza] "he video file isn't anamorphic"

Yes it is.

The HVX-200 camera shoots DVCProHD as what is considered to be an anamorphic format, which is effectively squeezed horizontally to 960x720 pixels and later stretched to display at 1280x720 pixels.

FCP outputs stills in their native pixel dimension (in your case squeezed at 960x720), so you need to adjust them in Photoshop to full raster, which is 1280x720.

As far as quality goes, if you're outputting them in print at 300dpi, the largest size you would want to print them would be at about 30% of the original pixel dimension.

Do you understand?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

rachel pandza
on Jan 3, 2010 at 1:38:58 am

Yes I understand, i just wondered if there was an easier way to do it, without doing each on individually in photoshop.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]