FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to create high resolution picture scans

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rachel pandza
How to create high resolution picture scans
on Dec 28, 2009 at 9:30:44 pm

Hello

I have photos I need to get scanned for my documentary in the Highest Possible resolution. Does anyone know how and where I can get this done and the technical specs I need to get the pictures scanned at for the pictures to look the best in Final Cut Pro?

Return to posts index

david bogie
Re: How to create high resolution picture scans
on Dec 28, 2009 at 9:35:39 pm

"Highest possible" is not appropriate unless you need the photos for another purpose besides video. You only need your images scanned at the largest pixel density for your project's needs which may or may not include motion graphics. You have to know how this stuff will be used first. Video is only about 800x500 pixels or, if true HD, 2000x 1100 pixels, roughly. Those are pixels. dots per inch and lines per inch are meaningless in video. When you find someone to do this for you, be sure they research "scanning photos for video", which you can do too, before they spend any of your money.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 28, 2009 at 10:25:59 pm

Rachel,

You can buy a $99 HP or Canon scanner that will do the job very nicely, or you can pay a service company lots of money to do the same thing.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Mike Schrengohst
on Dec 29, 2009 at 4:17:51 am

Are they slides or prints?
You can easily scan prints like the last poster suggested....
HD is 1920x1080 pixels - so I would scan to at least 4000x2000 so
you could do some panning & scanning. I would clean them up in Photoshop first.

Return to posts index

rachel pandza
on Jan 3, 2010 at 1:44:35 am

They are standard 4x6 photos that were printed and I didn't know if I could get similar resolution as the photos in digital form by scanning them with my HP scanner or going to kinkos or some other place, or what settings I would use for the highest digital resolution I can get from a 4x6 printed photos, as I will be zooming in on them and having wide shots

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 29, 2009 at 6:34:01 pm

[rachel pandza] "I have photos I need to get scanned for my documentary in the Highest Possible resolution."

I'm with Bogie: that's basically a nonsensical statement.

The resolution at which you scan a picture is determined by the resolution in which you are editing and by any magnification you need. You may want a Ken Burns-style move on a still, zooming from a head shot of Gen. Ulysses S. Grant to a group shot of the good general and his entire staff. If so, you need to scan the picture at a higher resolution than you would need for a simple wide shot.

So in essence, scanning stills at the necessary resolution is a function of pre-planning.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]