FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I import directly from a SDHC card to FCP?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
How do I import directly from a SDHC card to FCP?
on Dec 27, 2009 at 12:00:22 pm

I am using a Vixia HF S100 and I want to import video directly from the SDHC card so I can avoid having to use the plugged in camera. How do I do this? I can put it in my card reader and the computer recognizes it, but I have no idea what to do past that. Any advice?

Also, as a side point, would I ever want to import into iMovie and then use those files in FCP or will that be a lower quality image than if I import directly into FCP?

thanks,
noam

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: How do I import directly from a SDHC card to FCP?
on Dec 27, 2009 at 12:35:54 pm

That camera records H.264 based files. So you need to transcode them in Compressor or use QuickTime conversion to turn them into an editable format. Once you're card is on the desktop in your reader, drag all of the files to a hard drive. Then import them into Compressor and using the same frame size and frame rate you shot, export them as ProRes files. Then import them into FCP for the edit.

Don't use iMovie at all.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Dec 27, 2009 at 5:46:34 pm

Do I drag the entire folders or just the MTS files?

thanks so much. this is a big help

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Dec 27, 2009 at 6:53:13 pm

Could you tell us what version of the application you're using?

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Dec 27, 2009 at 1:50:27 pm

If you're using FCP6.0.6 or later you use the Log and Transfer function in the File menu. Read about its use in the manual.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]