FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sync Problems, HVX and GH-1 footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Wong
Sync Problems, HVX and GH-1 footage
on Dec 27, 2009 at 6:55:41 am

So I recently completed shooting a short film on the GH - 1. We didn't have an audio recorder available so we ran mics to an HVX we had on hand. I've logged the footage in Final Cut, importing only the audio from the HVX footage, but when I'm trying to merge the clips to sync the audio and visual, the audio track comes up short. If, however, I lay the audio into my 24fps timeline, it comes out the correct length and syncs with the visuals.

My guess is that, when you merge the clip it matches the timecode frame by frame (this makes sense mathematically because the audio is about 1/3rd the length of the visual.) So the question is, how do I get the timecode to match? I've tried modify>timecode on the audio clip and setting the framerate to 60 and matching the slate frame timecode but that didn't seem to make a difference.

So, what can I do? It's going to royally suck to have to sync each clip in the timeline and I edit.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: Sync Problems, HVX and GH-1 footage
on Dec 27, 2009 at 5:13:01 pm

Don't understand why you didn't connect the microphones directly to the recording video camera? And then why did you record to another camera using a different frame rate?

You could export the audio to tge correct frame rate, but it sounds as if you're going to have to sync up each clip individually. Hopefully you have a clap strike at the head or tail of each shot.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Kevin Wong
on Dec 27, 2009 at 10:40:06 pm

The GH-1 is a hybrid video / still camera so it only has one stereo 1/8" jack and no level monitoring. Recording the audio at a different frame rate was just a total brain fart on the audio guys part. We knew our final output was going to 24fps so we set the audio to record at that rate; totally forgetting the sync issues.

After piddling with this for a few hours. I have two solutions.

If I convert a clip from the gh-1 from 60 to 23.976, import that clip and merge it with the audio it syncs fine.

I can also, drop both clips into the timeline, link them and then drag them back to the browser and I have a properly synced merged clip.

Neither solution is ideal but I'll take what I can get.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Dec 28, 2009 at 2:12:30 am

The mic input won't make any difference. Monitor it upstream from the input.

Do not recompress the video into a different frame rate. That is mediocre at best. Video frame rate recompression is extraordinarily hard to do well. Change the audio frame rate.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Kevin Wong
on Dec 28, 2009 at 4:56:07 am

How do I change the audio frame rate? I tried modify>timecode but that didn't fix it and I can't figure out how to get four channel audio converting it through compressor.

Return to posts index

Kevin Wong
on Dec 28, 2009 at 4:59:54 am

Also, compressor does a very nice job converting 60p for 24p. I have very little fast movement in the footage (it's a narrative drama) so I don't think ghosting will be an issue.

30p is another story entirely however.

check out this comparison:

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: Final Cut Express 2 not playing back audio from specific camera
on Dec 28, 2009 at 7:09:04 am

With Compressor, the same way you do the video. But I guess the other issue you have to consider is where you're going with this media. How is it going to be delivered.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

Kevin Wong
Re: Final Cut Express 2 not playing back audio from specific camera
on Dec 28, 2009 at 7:48:38 am

When I convert the video, I select audio passthrough. If I turn off video this isn't an option.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Dec 28, 2009 at 8:08:47 am

I don't understand. Are you converting the audio with Compressor or QuickTime Conversion? I take it you ingested the empty video with the audio? Is that right? You should just be able to convert the audio portion.

Sorry, don't know how the thread name got changed there.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]