<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Fields
Mac not shutting down
on Dec 23, 2009 at 6:42:39 pm

My Mac specs:
Power Mac G5 Quad
OS X (10.4.11)
6.5 GB RAM

My problem: Final Cut Pro has been freezing up today. When i force quit, the system doesn't allow me to re-open FCP unless I shut down/restart. The issue is that when i got to shut down, the machine just...sits there...and does nothing.

Return to posts index

Eric Paine
Re: Mac not shutting down
on Dec 23, 2009 at 7:41:11 pm

Force the shutdown by holding down the power button for 5 seconds...
Then I'd repair permissions, do a proper shutdown and restart. Good luck.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Mac not shutting down
on Dec 23, 2009 at 7:50:33 pm

The problem you're facing is unfortunately inherent to all Macs, but thankfully it happens only very infrequently. The maintenance procedures below will help to alleviate the problems that cause what you are experiencing. Do them all...

1) Trash FCP preferences - get Preference Manager from http://www.DigitalRebellion.com for this.

2) Fix Permissions on the system drive using Apple Disk Utility

3) Run Disk Warrior on all drives -- if you don't have Disk Warrior get it immediately, it's essential for anyone editing with FCP, especially if you are a professional editor. At $99, it may seem expensive, but it's one of teh very best investments an editor can make.

4) Get one of the many free apps that will clean up the numerous Unix caches that fill up in over time in the Mac OS. I use Applejack for this, but there are many, many others available. If you do download Applejack, be sure to follow the instructions -- i.e. install, reboot and hold down Command + s, at the prompt type in applejack auto restart and hit enter, then just let it run, there's no user intervention needed. BTW, Applejack is completely safe.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]