FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tiff Sequence with Timecode? Sony XDCAM to Color Correct

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Colin Edelman
Tiff Sequence with Timecode? Sony XDCAM to Color Correct
on Dec 22, 2009 at 8:49:15 pm

Hi,

I have a project shot on a Sony EX3. Getting the footage into FCP 6.0.5 was no problem using log and transfer.

Since this is directly involved with the Sony XDCAM, I will be posting this same message in that forum too. Sorry about the repeat, just trying to solve this problem.

Now it is time for the color correct and unlike the conveniences of the RED camera, I cannot simply create a DPX sequence with each clip's timecode.

It seems that my only workflow option is to provide the transfer house with a tiff sequence or uncompressed quicktime. However, doing either seems to lose the timecode, which I will need in order for my conform to run smoothly and avoid any eye matching disasters.

In Final Cut, Is there any way to export a tiff sequence with each original clips' timecode instead of the sequence timecode?

I downloaded a demo version of Glue Tools Cineon/DPX Pro for Final Cut Studio which claims to provide DPX sequences with the clips original timecode, but I was unable to export a proper sequence and it provided an arbitrary timecode that didn't break over two completely different shots.

Right now my current solution is to export a tiff sequence of each shot (with 10 seconds handles) in a separate folder that is named by shot number and the timecode of the first frame, such as "Shot01_TC14_16_32_05" After the color correct is finished, the color house will have to manually assign the timecode with the deck, a process they claim is not 100% frame accurate.

I'm told that the Sony EX3 is not usually used on a professional basis, therefore doesn't have a recognized workflow to preserve timecode from offline to online without this manual labor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Colin

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
Re: Tiff Sequence with Timecode? Sony XDCAM to Color Correct
on Dec 22, 2009 at 9:19:17 pm

You should be able to drop your original XDCam clips into Compressor and make uncompressed QT from there. Compressor will pass the TC through by default.

[Colin Edelman] "I'm told that the Sony EX3 is not usually used on a professional basis, therefore doesn't have a recognized workflow to preserve timecode from offline to online without this manual labor. "

I think that whoever told you that is either hopelessly out of touch, or is trying to cover up the fact that they're hopelessly out of date and don't know how to work with these newfangled tapeless systems that are becoming all the rage.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 23, 2009 at 1:44:23 am

[Arnie Schlissel] "I think that whoever told you that is either hopelessly out of touch, or is trying to cover up the fact that they're hopelessly out of date and don't know how to work with these newfangled tapeless systems that are becoming all the rage."
Very well said Arnie.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Colin Edelman
on Dec 23, 2009 at 2:09:13 am

By original XDCAM clips, do you mean the ones I converted within log and transfer?

Either way, there would be a lot of manual labor after I completed the cut. For example, I have a :30 with 24 cuts in it. Here I would go back to the original clip which is minutes long and I need frames.

So the big issue is if I can preserve timecode after a cut has been put together.

While the person who said that may have making a generalization, the fact still remains that there isn't a smooth workflow for XDCAM cam that retains timecode.

I understand that people jumped all over the RED camera because it was making so many waves, so now you have programs like Crimson that read XMLs from Final Cut and refer to the Raw Red files to make a DPX sequence with timecode. However, I was hoping there was an equivalent program for Sony XDCAMs.

Colin Edelman

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 23, 2009 at 2:48:08 am

Hi Colin,
I can not help you much because I do not work with Still sequences, but you must proceed with the XDCAM footage the same that if you would be dealing with Uncompress, DVCPro or any other standard footage.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]