FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quick Time Pro gone after installing Snow Leopard

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Itamar Kool
Quick Time Pro gone after installing Snow Leopard
on Dec 22, 2009 at 3:51:13 pm

I finally installed Snow Leopard and everyhting seems to be working. Only thing is: my quick time pro is gone!! I have only the quick time player and no more quick time pro!! I searched the archive but didn't find anything.

Kool En De Anderen
MAC Pro 8 core/OS 10.5.8/Kona LHe/Apple FCS 3/Adobe PPCS3/Huge fibrechannel
http://www.koolendeanderen.nl

Return to posts index

Jaap van Hoewijk
Re: Quick Time Pro gone after installing Snow Leopard
on Dec 22, 2009 at 4:12:21 pm

Quick Time Pro (7) still there, but it's located in Applications>Utilities. remember to change the preferred programma to open quicktime files. (info panel). So in future quicktime pro opens instead of the new player

Return to posts index

mike chenoweth
on Dec 22, 2009 at 4:14:30 pm

QTX writes over it. You have to reinstall QT7 from the Snow Leopard install disc utilities folder.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Dec 22, 2009 at 4:23:22 pm

What are the reasons you'd want to use QT7 over QTX?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 22, 2009 at 7:37:54 pm

For Quicktime Pro (exporting) and certain programs like to use QT7 and it's full feature set while QTX is still in the lab.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Dec 22, 2009 at 7:43:11 pm

I'm surprised you didn't find anything doing a search. This is very well documented.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Dec 22, 2009 at 7:48:15 pm

For background, read:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2009/08/mac-os-x-10-6.ars/6

"If QuickTime X is so much better, why doesn't QTKit use it for everything? The answer is that QuickTime X, like its Mac OS X namesake, has very limited capabilities in its initial release. While QuickTime X supports playback, capture, and exporting, it does not support general-purpose video editing. It also supports only "modern" video formats—basically, anything that can be played by an iPod, iPhone, or Apple TV. As for other video codecs, well, you can forget about handling them with plug-ins because QuickTime X doesn't support those either.

For every one of the cases where QuickTime X is not up to the job, QuickTime 7 will fill in. Cutting, copying, and pasting portions of a video? QuickTime 7. Extracting individual tracks from a movie? QuickTime 7. Playing any movie not natively supported by an existing Apple handheld device? QuickTime 7. Augmenting QuickTime's codec support using a plug-in of any kind? You guessed it: QuickTime 7."

Also read:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2009/08/mac-os-x-10-6.ars/16

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Dec 22, 2009 at 9:15:34 pm

Great response and link!

I'm bookmarking this...I have several people who will run into this issue and come asking me whats up!

Thanks Alan!

-Jason

Return to posts index

Itamar Kool
on Dec 23, 2009 at 11:38:07 am

Thanks for all te input. I installed Quick Time 7 from the Snow Leopard disk. Strange thing is now that the player no longer says it is Quick Time Pro, but I do have all the export possibilities that I used to have including my Flip4Mac plug in. So I can live with this....

Kool En De Anderen

Return to posts index

Itamar Kool
on Dec 23, 2009 at 11:53:16 am

And the great thing is now that I can Log and Transfer in FCP from my DSLR with AVCHD files, which didn't work under my 'old' Leopard

Kool En De Anderen

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Jan 23, 2010 at 12:59:48 am

I've finally upgraded to snow leopard...but my IT guy is taking a long time to install QT7. Can I just pull the download from apple's site? Or is it different from the Snow Leopard install disc utilities folder?

-Jason

Return to posts index

Itamar Kool
on Jan 23, 2010 at 2:12:44 pm

You can install it from the utilities folder on the Snow Leopard disc

Kool En De Anderen
MAC Pro 8 core/OS 10.6.2/Kona LHe/Apple FCS 3/Adobe PPCS3/Huge fibrechannel

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 23, 2010 at 3:00:48 pm

Yes, it's very easy and shouldn't require IT help.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Jan 23, 2010 at 7:20:59 pm

What I was asking...is there a way to get QT7 for snow leopard from any other place than the install disc? Online? My IT guy has the disc and say's he'll do it when he has time...

Also...last night, I tried to transcode to DVCPROHD, ProRes and HDV...and none of them worked even tough I have FCP installed. I even have the option of those codecs available......I'm guessing this is a QT7 issue...

-Jason

Return to posts index

Itamar Kool
on Jan 23, 2010 at 8:43:26 pm

Maybe you can do it with Compressor???

Kool En De Anderen

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Jan 23, 2010 at 9:45:28 pm

I WAS using compressor...HDV was transcoded and made file with white video...and good audio.

ProRes and DVCPROHD came up with error - codec not installed.

I'll try to get QT7 installed on Monday and let you know if it fixes this issue...I'm guessing it will, but I'm dead in the water this weekend...

-Jason

Return to posts index

Itamar Kool
on Jan 24, 2010 at 11:36:31 am

Strange... Maybe you can try to export from FCP. If that is not possible, my guess would be that those codecs aren't properly installed on your computer

Kool En De Anderen

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
Issue after changing to Snow Leopard?
on Jan 26, 2010 at 12:26:26 am

I finally got Snow Leopard and QT7 on my MBP.

I'm still having a strange problem...maybe should make a new topic, although I think it's relevant to what we are talking about.

I have some source footage - h264 codec in an AVI container. I've done this workflow before - convert to DVCPRO HD or ProRes to edit, using Compressor. But recently, my computer died...it's been reloaded, and now compressor comes up with the error message (link below) when trying to convert this footage. BTW, these files play fine in VLC...so the codec is on my machine to interpret them.

http://www.jbtwist.com/CC/compressor.png

-Jason

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Issue after changing to Snow Leopard?
on Jan 26, 2010 at 2:33:33 am

Can you open the AVI in Quicktime?

Also, do me a favor and navigate to your Library > Quicktime Folder, and take a screen shot of the contents in there for me.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Jan 26, 2010 at 1:46:46 pm

I can't remember if I could open in QT before...but I definitely can't now. In v7 or vX. But I've absolutely used compressor to convert them. I just did a project with footage from this camera.

It's not a huge deal...I'm just going to use Sorenson or Episode to convert...I'm just trying to figure out why I can't do it now...like I did before my upgrade to Snow Leopard.

Here's my QT library folder:

http://www.jbtwist.com/CC/QT.png

-Jason

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 26, 2010 at 4:09:37 pm

VLC does some interpreting when it opens files, especially ones QT can't open (such as certain MPEG2 streams). There must be some sort of codec that is not installed on this new machine. All of your FCP codecs are installed. Pending any permission issues, you need to find that codec (what exactly is it again?) or use VLC to export your movie.

Maybe try Perian.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Jan 26, 2010 at 4:55:11 pm

All the info I can get on this file are the "codec details" in VLC. Here they are:

http://www.jbtwist.com/CC/codec.png

I don't know if there are several types of h264 profiles...but it just says "h264" ... anyway, my attempt at using Sorenson and Episode both failed. Sorenson won't read it...and Episode fails on transcode...

I guess I could use VLC...

-Jason

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 26, 2010 at 5:08:31 pm

Can you open it Quicktime at all? Even if it's a white frame? if so, get info on the movie once opened (command-i from within QT).

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Jan 26, 2010 at 9:25:55 pm

Yea...it opens, but gives me the error telling me it doesn't have the correct codec.

Info panel is:

http://www.jbtwist.com/CC/info.png

-Jason

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 26, 2010 at 9:28:46 pm

Have you tried perian yet?

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Jan 26, 2010 at 9:44:52 pm

PERFECT!

That was totally the issue. I had that on my machine previously...it transcoded in compressor perfectly!

Thanks so much!!! This helps...it's something for my family...so it's a small victory, but a victory nonetheless!

BTW, is Perian something that should be on all mac's that are running video editing workflows? I had run across it previously and really didn't know what it was.

-Jason

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 26, 2010 at 9:46:17 pm

It should always be in your back pocket, but has been known to cause some conflicts in the past (but not many). The nice thing is that you can easily turn it on or off.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 27, 2010 at 2:13:32 am

Perian is great, but if you have to use it to read an h264 in your Mac, is just a patch, not a solution.
There is something wrong in your system.
Jason, do you have run DiskWarrior or something similar?
I'm about to install SL and FC7 in my laptop, but with your feedback I'm stating to doubt about.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Jan 27, 2010 at 2:26:01 am

Hey Rafeal,

I don't know what Disk Warrior is...

I suspect that my specific issue is that I'm using footage shot by a consumer camera and trying to interpret that footage in Compressor to transcode to an editing format.

The camera is a VadoHD camera made by Creative. The files are h264...but I'm sure it's some strange flavor that isn't very friendly unless you use the "Creative editing software" provided with the camera.

Perian has solved my specific issue...thanks again Jeremy!

P.S. Rafeal - I've been running FCS3 since it came out...and it's run flawlessly on my MacPro and MacBookPro...the addition of Snow Leopard has introduced a few speedbumps...but I think that is just a fact of upgrading.

-Jason

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 27, 2010 at 2:37:37 am

But this is different, Raf. It's a different container than a QT movie and h264 can vary, even though it's called h264. You can't read dvcpro HD MXFs without a special QT component. Same situation here. It is obviuosly different than the QT wrapped h264 that comes installed on every mac that has QT7. There is absolutely no reason to run disk warrior here.

I have Snow Leopard running and editing on four machines now and not looking back. AE cs4 screams on SL.  I wouldn't hesitate too much if all of your main components are sl ready.

Return to posts index

Andrew Marshall
on Aug 11, 2010 at 9:26:16 pm

I have a great little workaround for getting all this to work quickly in AE. Open an older project that has your previous render settings in it. Pre-snow leopard. And then save the output modules as pre-sets. You can then render happily to Sorenson 3. I am always having trouble getting H.264 to render out of AE. It looks great when you use QT pro.. but AE chokes on it and I dont have the freedom to make smaller movies to upload for previewing the way I can with sorenson. Anyway.. just my gripes with apple limiting people.

-rendering.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]