FORUMS: list search recent posts

merged clip after xml export problem

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael cheung
merged clip after xml export problem
on Dec 19, 2009 at 11:11:19 pm

Hello helpful people! I am assistant editor on a feature shot on the red cam. This is my problem:

1. Red files transcoded to pal size with burnt in timecode for editor to work with offline. The files keep their file name.

2. files imported into fcp 7 project. Also sound dailies imported into project. Sound files layed on sequence and then video files layed down to allow quick syncing.

3. While on timeline, video clips individually linked to their audio, and then dragged into browser to create merged clips.

4. The clips are then renamed to something appropriate as per editor's request. "003 001 001" as an example.

5. However when I export the clips to xml and reimport into a different project on both fcp 7 and fcp 6 it insists on me trying to relink to video, (the video file, in its orignal name) audio (wav file) and "003 001 001", which can't be relinked because it isn't linkable to anything.

6. The clip appears to be usable with the video and audio relinked, and the edl looks normal but the clips remain unconnected (a red line through it!)

Anyone know how to fix?

Michael


Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: merged clip after xml export problem
on Dec 20, 2009 at 1:05:45 pm

I'm not sure where things went wrong, but seems to me that dragging the clips linked to audio, then editing from those clips resulted in your problem. Dragging clips from a sequence to the browser doesn't create true merged clips.

Instead of XML though I'd try just copying the sequence you want to move, put it in a project file by itself, and move that instead.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays


Return to posts index

Michael Cheung
Re: merged clip after xml export problem
on Dec 20, 2009 at 1:33:54 pm

Thanks for your response.

After further testing I've noticed that if after linking and dragging off the timeline and name the clip with "Merge" on the end which is what the Merge function does it works fine.

When you say it doesn't create proper merged clips what do you mean?

When I click on one of the "merged" clips and then hit "view" it gives me the Merged Clips options at the top.

I feel that everything points toward the renaming of the clips to "XXX XXX XXX" as the problem. The most frustrating part is that changing the name back, doesn't work.

When you rename the clip do you think it's changing other data somewhere?

Michael

Michael Cheung

Editor/Assistant Editor/DIT

http://www.filmcutter.co.uk


Return to posts index


Michael Cheung
Re: merged clip after xml export problem
on Dec 20, 2009 at 1:37:57 pm

Also,

the reason we are using XML to pass data around is that we are using different versions of FCP. I'm on 7 and the editor is on 6, which is why we can't really pass project files back and forth. Well, maybe forth, but not back - if you know what I mean.

Michael

Michael Cheung

Editor/Assistant Editor/DIT

http://www.filmcutter.co.uk


Return to posts index

Michael Cheung
Re: merged clip after xml export problem
on Dec 20, 2009 at 4:45:52 pm

Problem solved.

The problem was that when I was laying down the audio on the sequence I was removing track 3 and track 4 (there were 4 mono tracks, of which only two were being used.)

So when I linked and created the new merge clips and exported to XML it wasn't happy after relinking to only find two audio tracks, and so appeared offline even though it remained useable.

It had nothing to do with the renaming of the clips or the method of merging clips.

Lesson learnt. Hopefully someone won't stumble into this problem and have to resync everything like I am doing now!



Michael Cheung

Editor/Assistant Editor/DIT

http://www.filmcutter.co.uk


Return to posts index

Mario Tenorio
Re: merged clip after xml export problem
on Dec 20, 2009 at 6:02:07 pm

I am having a similar problem but different in that I am using final cut studio 2 with two different cameras. Both cameras are Xl1 canon but one is NTSC and the other is PAL. First I imported into the sequence the NTSC clips then on top on another track the PAL clips, cutting back and forth from top to expose the bottom clips for different angles, all the way through the movie. But, as I render to see if I like the edit I've just made the PAL clips go out of sinc with the sound track of the NTSC footage. Do you think that I can solve this problem by compressing the PAL footage to an NTSC frame rate (if this is even possible) then importing it into the sequence? By the way in some edits I only have the NTSC soundtrack, editing both the NTSC and PAL footage. Of ccourse I have slided the clips to match the sound in sinc and when I play it back it plays great, but when I render to make it stick it goes back out of sinc when I play it back. Thank You so much Mario Tenorio
Starlite Ent


Return to posts index


Alejandra Esque
Re: merged clip after xml export problem
on Apr 27, 2011 at 10:20:23 pm

Mario,

I am currently editing a mixed system project (half of it is pal and the other half is ntsc). It constantly goes out of sync. My guess is that it has to do with the frame rate, so I exported all pal footage into ntsc with the same file names. I haven't reconnected it yet, but if you do so before I do, please let me know how it goes.

Good luck!!
Alejandra


Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]