FORUMS: list search recent posts

mac OS crashed, now FCP playback looks low-res

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher McDonell
mac OS crashed, now FCP playback looks low-res
on Dec 19, 2009 at 8:39:18 pm

Like the title says, my OS crashed, crashing FCP which was idle at the time. I rebooted and started FCP back up and now the playback of my picture is wonky. It looks low-res, with undulating softness. Especially evident on titles. All my settings appear to be the same. Render Control - 100% frame rate and resolution. When the playhead is stopped, picture returns to perfect sharpness. Same for when I scroll through frame by frame.

I verified and fixed disk permissions. I tried repairing my external disk and this when I got my first clue - if even relevant. It reads: "incorrect number of extended attributes". "Filesystem verify or repair failed." I'll have to buy another 1TB, copy everything over, and erase to resolve this problem. But is this what is causing my picture playback issue? FCP still does run, even with above noted issue.

Could it be my monitor (an Apple Cinema Display)? Or graphics card?

Downloaded trailers from Apple play perfectly. As do other converted movie files (.m4v). It's the HDV that I'm working with that is not performing.

Any suggestions??? Thanks,

Chris

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: mac OS crashed, now FCP playback looks low-res
on Dec 19, 2009 at 10:18:45 pm

Check your playback video quaulity. You can not judge quality from your Computer Monitor.

Check out D 3 in the FAQ's. You will find that on top and to the right.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Dec 19, 2009 at 11:24:55 pm

Thanks for responding, but I wish it was that easy. I've been editing w FCP for over 5 years now. The playback quality I was getting yesterday and every day before that is simply gone. Everything still appears to be playing in low-res, and then when I pause - perfect clarity. RT is set on safe RT. Playback: dynamic. High is greyed out. Frame rate - full. Nothing needs rendered. I don't know what else to do. Something happened when my os crashed - settings were changed, I don't know. I've trashed FCP pref settings.

Any other advice or ideas?

Chris

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Dec 20, 2009 at 2:56:31 am

It is that easy. I've been using FCP since version 1. I've never a problem with quality. Before, during or after a crash.

As I said earlier, you can not judge quality of your work accurately from any computer monitor.

You've invested in HDV equipment. Invest in a very affordable i/o device from Blackmagic, Matrox or AJA. Hook that up to any HDMI LCD TV (not computer monitor) and you should see better results in quality.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 20, 2009 at 3:32:40 am

Steve...you are failing to understand what he is saying. He is saying that for years things looks pretty clear in the Canvas and Viewer. He's not expecting PERFECT. But now after a crash, things look WORSE than they did before. More low resolution than he is used to seeing in the Canvas and Viewer.

Did you trash your preferences?

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Dec 20, 2009 at 4:06:44 am

I hear what he is saying. He said he has trashed his prefs. Without being in front of his system, I can only suggest what I have encountered from my experiences. Perhaps his FCP Prefs, System Settings and Audio/Video Settings need to be changed. He says it only happens with HDV footage.

Christopher also never gave us any of his system specs.

Some more suggestions. Make sure all your render selections are checked and re-render. Convert your HDV into ProRes.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Dec 20, 2009 at 8:33:23 am

Well, I've learned that my crash was a "kernel panic". The service guys at a local Apple Store think it's a software issue with FCP, but warn it could be hardware. I think we've safely ruled out QT, the Apple Display, graphics card and external drive since my HDV clips open and play fine in QT. To reiterate, they also look fine in FCP when viewed one frame at a time. It's when I play - both in small viewer screens and big on the main display, that the image softens and undulates. Audio is fine. It's as if playback is set to medium quality or something... but it's not! Oh, and I have tried re-rendering some test chunks - both in HDV and ProRes. Same result.

The only thing I can think of is to reinstall FCP. But that's a lot of work and this still feels to me like I have one silly little setting off somewhere.

Got anything else for me to try, guys?

Thanks for your input thus far,

Chris

Return to posts index

Gabriele Sartori
on Dec 20, 2009 at 5:19:39 pm

I'm wondering if during the crash etc. you "lost" your graphic drivers and now FCP thinks that you have a lower end graphic cards. It is hard to tell but it could be.
I don't recall if you wrote that was a total crash and you rebuilt the disk with time machine or not but if you didn't you could try to plug in a new boot disk, reinstall the OS and time machine it. A good job to do overnight. This assuming that you have a recent time machine backup.
If you are not in that situation , try to run an update and see if the mac detect "new" drivers for your graphic card. What I'm trying to say is that you probably had the newest drivers previously but there is a chance that something happened in that area, crashes may corrupt files including SW drivers. Also, even before doing all this launch system profiler and see what graphic card is detected by the system.
These are just some ideas I may be totally wrong but it is worthwhile to explore that path. Using an I/O card is a good thing but I don't think that it is your problem right now, you have to have your system in order first.

Gabriele - California

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Dec 21, 2009 at 10:06:33 pm

This is soooo frustrating! I've reinstalled my OS. 10.5.8 Updated all the software. I'm using FCS2 by the way. And still - same problem. Only thing different that I've detected in my various tests, is that if I deselect 'Scrub High Quality', then the image when still or when scrubbing looks exactly as it does when playing - my grande problem! So perhaps, even though my video playback quality is 'dynamic' and frame rate 'full', and render settings all at 100%, perhaps... the software is somehow defaulting to medium quality (or whatever the deselect 'scrub high quality') is.

Oh, I've also run the hardware test software and everything passed.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I'm still all ears. If I don't hear anything soon, I think I'll reinstall FCS2. What do I have to lose at this point?

Thanks again,

Chris

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Dec 22, 2009 at 6:38:18 am

I think I just figured it out. My 'high' setting in RT playback is grayed out. It's been playing dynamic. I did a search on this and discovered other users on this board complaining about the same thing happening and affecting the quality of their picture. Something to do with their RAM maybe. I haven't done anything different, but move and change my email account, but I'm guessing something happened along the way where FCP is refusing me 'high' quality playback. Now, how do I sort this out? Get more RAM?

Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]