FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor MPEG export changes clip frame rate and duration

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Denis Devlin
Compressor MPEG export changes clip frame rate and duration
on Dec 19, 2009 at 5:47:31 am

When exporting from XDCAM 1080p30 format to MPEG-2 NTSC 29.97 fps, the resulting clip has fewer frames (by a factor of about 1000/1001) when compared to the original.

E.g. a 6000 frame XDCAM clip produces only 5993 MPEG-2 frames. If the MPEG clip is brought back into FCP in order to examine its properties, FCP claims that its frame rate is 30fps, instead of the 29,97 that was clearly indicated by Compressor in its summary pane. Curiously, Quicktime claims the frame rate is 29.97.

The problem (among others) is that the time duration of the exported MPEG has been shortened and it no longer matches the corresponding exported audio (which retains it time duration correctly). In a half hour clip, audio is almost 2 seconds out of sync. I have somehow managed to achieve this same problem on two different computers running different installs of FCP, both of which used to work fine!

This problem has just begun recently. I have routinely followed the same workflow in the past. Compressor used to produce the correct 29.97 frame rate MPEG files and sync with exported audio was never a problem. I am using all the latest FCP 6 components. I have un-installed FCP (using FCS_Remover) and re-installed - still broken. Are there other files that FCS_Remover doesn't know about that should be removed? I didn't remove the serial number file (but I did remove all the prefs)- I suppose I should try removing the serial num file next.

Maybe there is some quicktime MPEG encoder pref buried somewhere that has somehow gotten the idea that MPEG should only run at 30fp? I hope I don't have to resort to a full system re-install. I have noticed through inspecting with Activity monitor that Compressor makes use of lots of files in /System/Library. Prehaps one of these is the culprit?

Anyone else run into this or have any ideas?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]