FORUMS: list search recent posts

30 hours to render! right files?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicholas Spiers
30 hours to render! right files?
on Dec 18, 2009 at 10:36:25 pm

Hi Guys

Ok, to start, I have a MAC OS X 10.4.11/ Final Cut Pro 5/ new 1TB external hard-drive/ from UK

So, I am new to FCP and not very tech savvy. Please be gentle with me....

Basically, I have some video files I would like to edit on FCP. They are MPEG files on my computer (I don't have access to the camera anymore). I realise that you can't edit MPEGS on FCP so I converted them to MP4s on iSquint.

I then imported them into FCP. However, on the timeline the audio and video needs rendering (I thought this was unusual as I haven't added any affects whatsoever). So I started rendering them, (after quite a lot of trouble, having had to copy the clips and drop them in a new project), but it says the rendering will take 30 hours, all for about 15minutes of clips!!!!

Obviously this is ridiculous and I've done something wrong along the way. Now I don't know what to do! I've tried matching the compressor rates of the sequence and my clips (H. 264) but to no avail. Do I have to decompress them? I wouldn't know where to start....

Please help- and talk to me like I'm a small child!!

thanks Nick

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: 30 hours to render! right files?
on Dec 18, 2009 at 11:08:56 pm

[Nicholas Spiers] "I realise that you can't edit MPEGS on FCP so I converted them to MP4s on iSquint. "

Nope, you can't edit MP4s either, that's a delivery codec for Web and phones, etc., not an editing codec.

So, you need to download Mpeg Streamclip, it's free, and does a great job of converting to any editable Quicktime codec. In your case, you would want to convert to DV50 or to ProRes.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Nicholas Spiers
on Dec 18, 2009 at 11:39:31 pm

Thanks so much David. I didn't realise! I've downloaded MPEG streamclip and it says I need to upgrade in order to do anything with MPEG2 files. Any suggestions?

thanks again

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 19, 2009 at 1:43:56 am

Humm? That's a new one on me. What is it suggesting you upgrade to?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
on Dec 19, 2009 at 4:28:21 am

Is it asking for a Streamclip update, or Apples MPEG 2 Playback Component?... my guess is the latter.

HTH

Gary

This is me - this is what I do - http://web.mac.com/garymmw

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 19, 2009 at 5:44:14 am

You're using a old version of FCP and an old version of QT I'm sure. The newer mpegstreamclip probably can't properly function in a 4 year old os and app and Qt environment.

Why not open your clips in Qt, then export them as ntscDv or dvcpro50, or prores if that's even available.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]