FORUMS: list search recent posts

How can you tell if a QT MOV is a reference movie or self contained?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michaelle Stikich
How can you tell if a QT MOV is a reference movie or self contained?
on Dec 18, 2009 at 6:39:22 pm

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if there was a quick and easy way to tell if a QT movie has been exported as a self contained movie or as a reference movie? I haven't seen anything obvious in the info windows in QT or FCP other than file size, which can be misleading.

Thanks
Michaelle

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: How can you tell if a QT MOV is a reference movie or self contained?
on Dec 18, 2009 at 6:58:03 pm

The only way to even get a clue is to look at the file size. If it is abnormally small, that should clue you in to the file being a reference file. It is for this very reason that I never create reference files, and I always advise people here to avoid them. When hard drives were cheap, reference drives were essential, now they're just an accident waiting to happen.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 18, 2009 at 7:09:23 pm

Move them to another machine. If they open, they are self contained.

File size is the key factor but if you open them in Quicktime and hit command-j to bring up the properties, then click the 'resources' tab, you will see were the media is stored. If it's one location, it's most likely self contained, if there's a laundry list, it's a reference.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Michaelle Stikich
on Dec 18, 2009 at 8:16:18 pm

Understood, thanks for the tips. Luckily, Final Cut Server knows when a clip is a reference file so that is at least one good thing about this.

thanks
Michaelle

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]