FORUMS: list search recent posts

LTC on audio track

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan Delannoy
LTC on audio track
on Dec 16, 2009 at 7:44:20 pm

Hello Everyone,

I have just got back some HDV footage from a shoot and have been told that the sound engineer who was recording with a Free Run Time Code, sent back an LTC onto audio track one.
When I capture the footage, audio one is just full of fuzz.
If I want to sync the audio to the video I need to get to this Time Code, how is this possible?

I have tried capturing with LTC as the source Time Code but this doesn't change anything.
I have been using a Sony HVR-M15 to capture. Is there anything in the set-up of the HVR that needs changing for me to get the TC?
Having read a few things here and there, am I right in thinking I need a scope with an RS 422 so that this workflow will work?
Any help is more than welcome, please correct me if any of my assumptions seem wrong.

Thanks for your time.

Nathan

Return to posts index

Matt Doe
Re: LTC on audio track
on Dec 16, 2009 at 7:54:22 pm

When you capture the audio is already in-sync with the video no? I imagine you want to sync it with another camera from the same scene?

Run your clips through:

http://www.videotoolshed.com/?page=products&pID=26

It will add the LTC timecode to the Aux TC field, and you can sync if with your other footage from there.

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Dec 17, 2009 at 11:48:34 am

Matt,
this app. can do more nowadays.
You also have the option to swap normal / aux TC, and you can merge the QT's with BWF files for auto syncing.
(also great as FCP and DF bwf do not play nice)

There is a seperate application for the merging.

Do download the latest version and toy with it

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pro's

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Dec 16, 2009 at 8:41:34 pm

[Nathan Delannoy] "I have just got back some HDV footage from a shoot and have been told that the sound engineer who was recording with a Free Run Time Code, sent back an LTC onto audio track one. "

This is very common in concert footage.
that fuzz is what timecode sounds like as an audio signal - kinda like a fax machine.

you need to bridge the output signal from Audio One to the LTC reader on your input device. If your capture device does not support LTC you will need to use something that does understand LTC.

your best bet is to do a deck to deck conversion to a higher quality format than HDV and use the LTC input on the receiving deck to accept the LTC signal via BNC or RCA out of Audio one on the HDV deck.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

maurice jansen
on Dec 16, 2009 at 10:00:11 pm

well

the audio people gave the timecode to you to sync insert the recorded audio from them under the video on the tape in post. what has gone wrong is that it was free running. SMPTEtimecode has a relation with video (every timecode frame is a videoframe) if the generator was really freerunning it is useless. the timecode can now change from 10:00:00:01 to 10:00:00:02 in the middle of a frame. which is wrong.
in a long concert say 3hours you can be confronted with the fact that the audio from them is perfectly sync on the first song but completly async on the last.
i hope you have time/budget to fix cause this can be very time consuming.

succes
maurice

People saying they don't make mistake's often make nothing at all!

Return to posts index

Nathan Delannoy
on Dec 18, 2009 at 8:09:16 am

Thanks to everyone for your help,
as often it's a case for better preparation and communication at the conception the project.
You live and learn as they say.
Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]