FORUMS: list search recent posts

RAID5 performance impact

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pasi Koivisto
RAID5 performance impact
on Dec 15, 2009 at 2:07:15 pm

Hi all,

I just installed a HightPoint RocketRaid 2314 with 2 Sonnet Fusion PM enclosures (10 disks) and I am getting write speeds about 320MB/s and read speeds about 250MB/s. I was pretty close to this with just 1 PM enclosure and software raid. The speeds are fine for me but I am curios if the performance hit is RAID5 (used to be RAID0).

Anyone got a clue?

/Pasi
--
Editor, Colorist.
Mac Pro, 4x3 Ghz, 8 Gb ram, ATI 1900XT, KONA 3, Sony PVM20L4, Tangent Devices Wave.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: RAID5 performance impact
on Dec 15, 2009 at 2:54:40 pm

Hi pasi,
My experience with Raids is quite limited, but I don't think you should get more speed with a RAID 5 than with a RAID 0. The RAID 1 and RAID 5 would gives you more security.
What I think is that there is a big difference between the write and the read speed.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Doug Beal
on Dec 15, 2009 at 3:18:42 pm

Those boxes spec at 240 MB/sec Raid 0 so you're about there already except now you have some protection if a drive fails using raid 5. If this is a software raid5 you may not be as protected as you think.
My experience with the FusionD800 and atto R380 raid5 have been excellent. I've lost two drives, at different times, pulled the drive, stuck it on a sled, reformatted the drive in the macpro and placed it back in service. hit rebuild and away we go. That was a year and a half ago, day in day out use. the spare drive sits in a cabinet just in case. It captures/plays back anything we throw at it even running it to 95% full. This setup is a hardware Raid5.

Doug Beal
Editor / Engineer
Rock Creative Images
Nashville TN

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Dec 15, 2009 at 7:44:26 pm

[Pasi Koivisto] "I am getting write speeds about 320MB/s and read speeds about 250MB/s. I was pretty close to this with just 1 PM enclosure "

Something doesn't seem right. RAID-5 does rob some speed vs. RAID-0, but it's nowhere near 50% slower. Each of your eSATA ports can deliver up to 3Gb/sec., which translates to a theoretical maximum of roughly 300MB/sec. With twin 5-drive arrays on separate eSATA ports I would expect you to be getting closer to 450MB/sec. reads, even in RAID-5.

Check out the results of an almost identical setup on BareFeats:

http://www.barefeats.com/hard89.html

I suspect a problem with your RocketRAID card or the RAID configuration.

Return to posts index

Pasi Koivisto
on Dec 15, 2009 at 8:47:32 pm

Yeah, those numbers are closer to what I expected. I will need to do some more research on this. Of course, it doesn't help that it's one 500P and one D500P enclosure but it's been built as need has grown and I didn't want to throw stuff out.

/Pasi
--
Editor, Colorist.
Mac Pro, 4x3 Ghz, 8 Gb ram, ATI 1900XT, KONA 3, Sony PVM20L4, Tangent Devices Wave.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]