FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multiclip Problems

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Taron Ghazaryan
Multiclip Problems
on Dec 14, 2009 at 10:54:29 pm

I have a 5 camera 1080p multiclip project that needs to be edited. My Macpro couldn't handle more than 2 streams at once so I down converted all the footage to SD prores 422 and it still lags. That's not my main issue though, If you can help with that then great but this is what really stops my workflow. Whenever I am editing the multiclip project and cut to a different angle, the canvas window does not show the new angle and instead keeps playing the old one. On the timeline, the new angle is there and if I press pause, the canvas will update to the new angle. Anyone know what this can be from?

I am using FCP 6 with a 8-core mac pro. The footage is on an external drive connected via eSATA

Thanks

Return to posts index

Fred Miller
Re: Multiclip Problems
on Dec 14, 2009 at 11:00:57 pm

Set your clip viewer and canvas to "open." I think that should do it.

Fred

FCP Studio 2
Dual 3Gg Quad Core
4Gg RAM
KONA 2
OS 10.5.8

Return to posts index

Taron Ghazaryan
on Dec 14, 2009 at 11:43:47 pm

Guess I wasn't clear enough in my original post. The viewer is set to open and the timeline and the viewer play together just fine (laggy). My problem is that whenever I switch from lets say angle 1 to angle 2, the canvas window where you see the full frame does not get updated. It always did with my SD project but for some reason it wont work with this footage. My guess is that its a technical issue with maybe something to do with prores.

It's about a 4 hour project and if I have to press pause after every cut then I am going to go crazy. Please if anyone has any ideas chime in.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Fred Miller
on Dec 14, 2009 at 11:57:53 pm

I am following you. Again, check to make sure BOTH viewer AND canvas are set to "open" and I think that should solve the problem. You can look this up in the manual if you don't believe me.

FCP Studio 2
Dual 3Gg Quad Core
4Gg RAM
KONA 2
OS 10.5.8

Return to posts index

Taron Ghazaryan
on Dec 15, 2009 at 12:13:30 am

I do believe you and I appreciate you trying to help! Both viewer and canvas are set to "open." When I first press play, both the canvas and the viewer play simultaneously. When I change the angle, they both still play but the angle does not change on the canvas. It keeps playing the previous angle until i hit stop and it updates. On the timeline, the cut is there so the edit gets done. It's just that the canvas does not update it in real time.

Thanks

Return to posts index

David Foster
on Dec 15, 2009 at 4:32:59 am

I have had a bit of this issue myself since upgrading to FCP7. I'll have viewer and canvas set to 'open', and have the same problems as you. What I do is set the canvas and viewer to 'open' a second time, even though they are already set to open. That usually works. Don't know why multiclip sometimes doesn't work correctly. Well, it is making the cuts correctly, but I can't always see the selected angle until I stop playback or reset the canvas and viewer to 'open'. Weird.

David Foster

MacPro 8core 2.8 w/ 8GB RAM
FCP 7
OSX 10.5.8

Return to posts index

david bogie
Re: No real help: Multiclip Problems
on Dec 15, 2009 at 2:57:30 pm

Butting in with a pointless suggestion. In monitoring similar conversation for years, I have noticed that loading the multiclip button bar often helps the interface perform as expected.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Gene Nacey
on Jan 3, 2010 at 10:27:05 am

I have a similar problem, that probably is related. I have both edit window and canvas selected to OPEN, and even the multi-clip button bar loaded, but I cant see all of my multiclip angles in the editor. It just keeps switching to a single view of whatever is in the canvas.

This happens FREQUENTLY. I load everything up correctly, and start editing happily - clicking on a different angle in the edit window whenever I want the view to change - with no problem, when I stop editing and hit the space bar, it puts all the proper cuts in my sequence. That is, until I stop editing for an hour or so, come back to the work. For some reason, I can't get all the views to show again - it only shows one view, and it REALLY slows the work, almost grinds it to a halt.

It seems like it loses it's SYNC, yet the settings are both open, and it shows they are synced for a few seconds at a time, but when I go to click play in the canvas window, it just shows one view again in the edit window. YIKES! It's making me crazy.

ANY help would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Jop Stevens
on Jan 17, 2010 at 1:02:02 pm

just delete the render files and the problem is solved. Apperently Multiclip doesn't show in the viewer once it's is rendered.

Hope it will help

good luck

Vidi-jop.nl

Return to posts index

Danny Ellen
on Feb 20, 2010 at 4:12:32 pm

I'm having a similar problem. Basically, when i play my sequence (that has a multiclip edited into it) the viewer (with multiclips diplayed) doesn't mirror the canvas. The viewer updates correctly to wherever i stop playing the sequence. But i don't see the viewer playing in real time while the sequence plays down. The viewer displays multiclips; it just doesn't play them in real-time.

I've double clicked on the clip in the timeline to load it into the viewer; I've selected 'open' on both viewer and canvas; I have 'play multiclips' selected in the playback settings; I've displayed the multiclip button setup.

Is there something else i should be doing?

I'm running fcp 6.0.6.

thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Jop Stevens
on Feb 21, 2010 at 9:15:23 am

try deleting the renderfiles, it worked for me

good luck

Return to posts index

Danny Ellen
on Feb 21, 2010 at 2:49:51 pm

thank you for responding Jop. I don't have any render files to delete! still, i tried scaling the image up so i'd have to render it, rendered it, then deleted the render files...and re-rendered. didn't change anything. i also tried deleting the fcp prefs. nothing.

anyone else have any thoughts? i want to watch my angles live while i cut between them... seems like a very basic use of multiclip, and that's why i went through the process of creating *a lot* of multiclips all day friday. and it's just not happening.

also, fwiw, i was having this problem at work, on a quad-core running fcp 7, and also at home (testing), on a mbp running fcp 6. is this just a freak coincidence?

Return to posts index

Dan Gareh
on Apr 4, 2010 at 7:36:04 pm

BY JOVE I THINK I FIXED IT!! I had all the same problems as you had and followed a bunch of threads with no luck and a steadily decreasing head of hair - then I found if I loaded up the button bars a few buttons appear just above the multiclip window, the furthest one on the right is a button called 'MULTICLIP PLAYBACK' - this was off - when i clicked it on (lit up green) multiclip worked as it should - hurray!

Hope this works for you too
DG

Return to posts index

Jeremy Mayhew
on Apr 7, 2010 at 2:29:10 am

I have the same problems as the rest of the gang here. I'm working with FCP 7. None of your suggestions have helped me. I still playback and see but one of the angles in the canvas window... rather than the 9 I'm needing to edit with! Is this a Final Cut Pro v7 issue? Did anyone else resolve this? It's driving me crazy!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Martens
on Jun 30, 2010 at 11:45:40 pm

I had some limited success here by, when multiclip seems to not be working, simply moving the mouse to the timeline, double-clicking the multiclip[again i know] (sending it to Source/Viewer) then setting the playback heads back to open.

seems like its repeating steps, but it did work for us here...

J.

Return to posts index

Mike Roy
on Jul 8, 2010 at 7:54:11 pm

I had the same problem!

Deleting the render files worked!

Return to posts index

joe becker
on Mar 29, 2013 at 4:33:55 am

I am having a weird problem. when I double click the multiclip in the timeline, I see the three video tracks. but, when I hit play, the selected track fills the viewer. I want to see the three tracks or I won't know when to switch.

I'm also getting a dropped frame message often. which means playback stops and I have to say ok and hit play again. this is taking forever.

I have been editing for a while and it used to work smoothly. don't understand the change. I have almost 2 TB available on the drive. so, it's not scratch space.

Joe Becker
jbeckercreative

Return to posts index

Elijah Lynn
Delete Render Files Saved The Day!
on Oct 21, 2010 at 2:32:08 am

Thank! This saved me some frustration just now.

Return to posts index

adam kegg
on Nov 7, 2010 at 5:57:59 pm

Hey Taron,

I was having the exact same problem, but with three video clips.
The reason for my problem was simple and I just fixed it. I had to to click on the image icon just to the right of the play head sync button on the canvas. I changed it from "wire frame" to "Image".
I then was able to see the angle change in realtime as I clicked on each clip on both canvas and timeline.

I hope this helps someone else.

p.s. I did everything else every one said without any luck until I changed the setting to Image only in the canvas.

Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

vincent ricafort
on Feb 5, 2012 at 11:24:58 am

My method, and i've used it twice is to just lay a copy of a multiclip over the sequence from my in point. i hit Open and let it play for a second and it works. I then delete the clip i laid over the top and voila: it plays back again. hope that helps.

v.

live/love/learn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]