FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting 2.35:1 Aspect Ratio HD to SD DVD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kurt Harder
Exporting 2.35:1 Aspect Ratio HD to SD DVD
on Dec 14, 2009 at 3:11:40 pm

Hello,

I am currently working in Final Cut Studio 5 with a short film that I edited from 1.85:1 aspect ratio to be 2.35:1 by cropping. I am just looking for some tips on how I would go about exporting it to Standard Definition to be able to retain my aspect ratio when I go to burn a dvd. I have been having some troubles maintaining the 2.35 AR.

My second question would be what would the best codec be for dvd.

Thanks,
Kurt

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Exporting 2.35:1 Aspect Ratio HD to SD DVD
on Dec 14, 2009 at 4:57:17 pm

You'll want to work in an anamorphic DV timeline. Plain ol' 720x480, with wide pixels. There is NO SUCH THING as a 2:35:1 DV preset.

It will then be your choice of either masking off the individual clips to create the fake 2.35:1 aspect ratio or just making a black slug with the appropriate letterboxing on it. Personally, I like the second option.

Oh, and when it comes time to get Compressor working on, consider duplicating your completed edit timeline, deleting your render files using the render manager, and changing the codec to ProRes.

I doubt you'll want to leave everything in DV. When re-compressed, DV treats carefully-shot images the way a baby treats a diaper.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]