FORUMS: list search recent posts

iMac video editing setup ?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett Ramsey
iMac video editing setup ?
on Dec 14, 2009 at 2:26:31 pm

We need to upgrade our ageing G4 MDD Mac to something new. Trouble is I can't get a straight simple answer to the question "Is it possible to run FCP 6 or 7 on an IMac?
If so what is the setup to capture HDV and or DV 16:9 to the computer. I've been told by our tech guys that due to the single firewire bus that you can't daisychain the cameras to our external FW800 drives without getting heaps of dropped frames both on import and print to video.
If so then we look like having to move to PC's which would be the only other thing in our budget. A Mac Pro at over $4500 fully configured is NOT an option.
Also if we move to PC's anybody have any suggestions of a decent NLE for regional broadcast and community work?
We are limited to a strict maximum of $2500 per computer.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: iMac video editing setup ?
on Dec 14, 2009 at 2:31:48 pm

[Brett Ramsey] "We need to upgrade our ageing G4 MDD Mac to something new. Trouble is I can't get a straight simple answer to the question "Is it possible to run FCP 6 or 7 on an IMac?"

Yes. Search this forum for 'iMac" and you should find multiple threads over the past two months where this has been discussed.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Bjarki Gudjonsson
on Dec 14, 2009 at 2:38:05 pm

Let me answer you in as simple a way as possible. Yes, you can. The new iMacs are really powerful computers. As long as you don't need to hook up other storage than FireWire and don't need any video out, it's a great deal.

B.

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Dec 14, 2009 at 3:08:27 pm

Yes, you can run FCS on an iMac.
But.
It's a deaden non-expandable box. You don't want to unless you are totally comfortable with the limitations.

I suggest you shop for a used MacPro.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Dec 14, 2009 at 3:22:26 pm

[Bjarki Gudjonsson] "As long as you don't need to hook up other storage than FireWire and don't need any video out, it's a great deal."

You can use high speed ethernet for storage these days too. You are NOT limited to Firewire for your storage on iMacs anymore. I have stated this multiple times and this is how we run our iMacs here. You can set up a SAN or a single high speed RAID and connect via ethernet which supports all the way to 1080 ProRes HQ.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Bjarki Gudjonsson
on Dec 14, 2009 at 11:25:41 pm

[walter biscardi] "You can use high speed ethernet for storage these days too. You are NOT limited to Firewire for your storage on iMacs anymore. I have stated this multiple times and this is how we run our iMacs here. You can set up a SAN or a single high speed RAID and connect via ethernet which supports all the way to 1080 ProRes HQ. "

That's true, Walter - good point. If I recall correctly, Bob Zelin set up a really handsome ethernet based SAN in your shop. You could even run one of those and use a FireWire based MOTU setup for video monitoring to make the iMac a pretty nice workstation.

I had a job the other day which came in on pretty short notice. Color correction of RED material. I picked up the material on the way home from work and intended to start the following morning on my workstation (8 core Mac Pro). I decided to take a look at the material at home on my new 27" iMac (only dual-core, though). The iMac tore through the 4K material like a champ! I couldn't believe it. I ended up doing a preliminary grade at home, which was more or less confirmed by the client the following morning with only a few alterations.

The point is that the iMacs are becoming really capable machines and unless you really need the horsepower or expansion capabilities, I'd really take a good look at an iMac as an option.

B.

Return to posts index

Bill Celnick
on Dec 14, 2009 at 8:27:56 pm

I have been running first FCP 6, now FCP 7 for 16 months on an Imac - 4GB Ram, and firewire 400 drives, and with a firewire hub.

I was told not to do it this way, but have had little problems except with tape capture -(HDV). When I must capture, I disconnect all but one firewire drive, and then have no problems.

Obviously there are trade-offs using an IMAC, but clients love watching their footage playing on one, should they come in for a working meeting.

Like you, I would love to have a Mac Pro, but, budgets are what they are.

Return to posts index

Jiggy Gaton
on Dec 15, 2009 at 12:31:03 pm

Yes, same here. When we need another editing bay, we just whap on another iMac to the lan. They have saved us so much money it's crazy. I have noted the same HD firewire restriction as u, but it's really not an issue as folks seem to be going tapeless here. Amazing computers!
Jigs

Phoenix Studios Nepal: A small A/V Production House in Kathmandu.

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Dec 15, 2009 at 2:45:34 pm

I give up and drink the koolaid.
The iMac is now an official, cow-sanctioned FCS platform.
I will point to this discussion whenever the topic comes up on apple.com. Upon your heads be it.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Brett Ramsey
on Dec 18, 2009 at 2:59:45 pm

The Gigabit Ethernet solution sounds like the go but any recommendations as to what brand? All the NAS servers I've seen run way slower than the full ethernet capacity. Also can I run the storage through a router as I need to have internet on the same machine.
I'm looking at the D-Link 2 bay SATA NAS but I can't get any decent info from local dealers.
Where I live the nearest Apple dealer is several hours away and when I rang them they just said "way too hard can't help you"

Return to posts index

Tod Mesirow
on May 21, 2010 at 6:18:41 am

but here's my question - how do I digitize my old BetaSP and 3/4" tapes? what's the best/easiest/highest-quality way to import the video into my quad-core iMac 27'?
thanks.
Tod

Return to posts index

Andrew Stuckey
on Mar 2, 2012 at 3:45:45 am

IMPORTANT

*i5 and i7 iMacs will not do high speed Ethernet*.

Dumb... but true
http://blogs.creativecow.net/blog/1092/i5-and-i7-imac-ethernet-controller-u...

I know time has marched on since this thread, but thought I would post this for anyone else who has just found this thread via a search.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]