FORUMS: list search recent posts

Improve FCP Render Time By Using another Machine or other Hardware Solution?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Blomstrom
Improve FCP Render Time By Using another Machine or other Hardware Solution?
on Dec 13, 2009 at 1:58:06 pm

Hi,
I'm using the Neat Video plugin to help cleanup some old film footage. The plugin works great and I'm very happy with the results; however, the render time now takes an extremely long time.

Can I utilize the processor in my MacBook Pro to help decrease render times? If so, how do I configure my system?

Are there any other hardware related solutions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Return to posts index

david bogie
Re: Improve FCP Render Time By Using another Machine or other Hardware Solution?
on Dec 13, 2009 at 3:43:10 pm

Sadly. No, the only thing you can do is add process or speed by upgrading your machine. Consider what this filter is doing, though, and you'll realize even doubling your computational power won't make much difference.

Compressor's Qmaster distributed work technology, AFAIK (unless something REALLY big happened recently), cannot be adapted to processing FCP's filters.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Greg Blomstrom
Re: Improve FCP Render Time By Using another Machine or other Hardware Solution?
on Dec 13, 2009 at 4:00:09 pm

Hi bogiesan,
Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah, I know it's doing a lot of work to get rid of the noise and it does a fantastic job. Was just hoping I could find a way to speed things up. Your reply is what I've been finding while doing more research on the web since posting this.

Thanks again for getting back with me. I'll leave this open for a bit longer in case someone has come up with a solution that no one else has found.

Return to posts index

Joel Peregrine
on Dec 13, 2009 at 4:00:03 pm

Hi Greg,

I'm the same boat. I've been using the Neat plugin more often and am noticing that its slowing down my workflow. I've switched to a process that puts all of a projects assets, including renders, on a esata external so I can swap a long render over to another MacBook Pro that I use for rendering, encoding and capturing. That at least allows me to get to work on another project while the other computer is chewing away on the rendering.

Return to posts index

Rebecca Gillaspie
on Dec 13, 2009 at 7:02:17 pm

Check your system preferences.

Open the "Energy Saver" System preference, and enable the "Higher performance" setting if it's not already set to that.

B

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

Rebecca Gillaspie
Producer, Editor
rgillaspie@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Dec 13, 2009 at 7:51:05 pm

Believe that option is only for MacBook Pro.

Kevin Monahan
60 Blu-ray Templates for Final Cut Studio 2009
http://www.fcpworld.com
Author - Motion Graphics and Effects in Final Cut Pro

Return to posts index

Rebecca Gillaspie
on Dec 14, 2009 at 3:53:37 am

I thought that's what he said he had, but maybe I read it wrong.

B

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

Rebecca Gillaspie
Producer, Editor
rgillaspie@gmail.com

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 14, 2009 at 7:23:02 am

You read it right.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Dec 15, 2009 at 6:50:27 pm

Sorry, my bad! ;-)

Kevin Monahan
60 Blu-ray Templates for Final Cut Studio 2009
http://www.fcpworld.com
Author - Motion Graphics and Effects in Final Cut Pro

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Dec 14, 2009 at 3:06:04 pm

[Joel Peregrine] "I'm the same boat. I've been using the Neat plugin more often and am noticing that its slowing down my workflow. I've switched to a process that puts all of a projects assets, including renders, on a esata external so I can swap a long render over to another MacBook Pro that I use for rendering, encoding and capturing."

Ah, running a parallel copy of FCP is a viable solution once the resources and project files have been offloaded and are known to be intact.
Implies a second license for FCP but let's not quibble about the details.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

cow
Dave LaRonde
on Dec 14, 2009 at 4:35:42 pm

Y'know, I just shake my head when I read threads like these.

Apparently people actually think a laptop machine has all the capabilities of a desktop machine tricked out with twice as much processing power, ton of RAM, great monitors, a good capture card and oodles of storage.

If that were the case, EVERYBODY would use laptops to edit feature films. Lord knows the portability factor alone would be like manna from heaven.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Greg Blomstrom
on Dec 14, 2009 at 5:15:57 pm

To Everyone (except Dave LaRonde),
Thank you for your constructive input. Unfortunately, I'm just going to have to wait it out. Offloading some work to my laptop will at least allow me to do work concurrently.

Dave LaRonde,
Why do you make such posts? You added no constructive or useful information. FYI - what I was hoping to do was SUPPLEMENT my Mac Pro by sharing processor resources with my MacBook and had no intentions of using the MacBook as the sole machine. Thanks for your insight, though.

Return to posts index

Joel Peregrine
on Dec 14, 2009 at 7:23:48 pm

"Y'know, I just shake my head when I read threads like these."

You should realize that there are many reasons to shoot with laptops. A big part of my business is editing and presenting the same day of the event, i.e. same day edits - logistically impossible to do with a tower when there are multiple locations. Knowing the abilities and limitations of your equipment you're using in the field, under deadline, is invaluable information. Its because I'm on laptops all the time that I have the confidence to do what I do in situations that others would never even think of attempting a promised presentation.

Wedding Films
YouTube Channel

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]