Has anyone had this problem and is there a way to fix it? Any help much appreciated.
I am working on a big Final Cut HDV project. I want to copy all my media files on to one internal hard drive, they are currently spread over several internal drives on the same machine. I intend on doing this through Media Manager and I have followed all the recommended path ways, i.e. Select clips in browser > Media Manager > Copy, include render files, include master clips outside selection, base media files names on existing file names, "Duplicate selected clips and place into a new project", set destination to the new drive, OK.
It all appears straight forward. The files are copying and readable by the new project except the big issues is some of the media files that are copied over to the new location end up getting extensions added to their file names, i.e. if the name of the original media file and the related clip in the project is :
...the copied version in the new location ends up as:
The clips in the project however all retain the original title.
I tried the same process on another Mac with version 6 and these extensions did not happen. I am using version 5.0.4 at present.
I also noticed these extensions are only happening to file names that have " . " - a full stop punctuation mark in them. Other file titles copy over and remain the same as the original. The extensions appear to be a repetition of any letters or numbers that occur from the last full stop onwards (in the original media file title).
Is there some easy and quick way to rename the media files not just in the FCP project but on the hard disc, to remove the full stops from their titles?
I have tried using both Media Manager settings to base media file name on "existing file names" and "clip name". The same extension problem occurs regardless.
try this: before you copy the media via media manager, make sure the actual extension is visible -- i.e.
"Simon_t2_17.2.10-88" should actually be "Simon_t2_17.2.10-88.mov" (or whatever file type you happen to me moving. It seems that media manager is adding the extra ".10-88" because that is what it thinks the extension is and it is the visible extension in the new location, rather than the actual file type extension. As for getting rid of the extra characters, find a rename program with a remove character range function. They're pretty fast for this type of task, and are easy enough to find.