FORUMS: list search recent posts

Digital Conversion of NTSC to PAL

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Edmond Buckley
Digital Conversion of NTSC to PAL
on Dec 11, 2009 at 10:27:51 am

I have some DVCPRO HD tapes that were shot in NTSC that I need to convert to PAL format. I have the footage digitised and was wondering if there is a way to digitally transcode the footage from NTSC to PAL?

Time is not a factor but money is and would like to know if there was a way of transcoding without sending it to a transfer house for a standards conversion.

Thanks

Ed

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Digital Conversion of NTSC to PAL
on Dec 11, 2009 at 11:08:37 am

Edmond,
Many application can do a good job, but nothing compared with what you get by software.
Most of the people around will recommend you the "Teranex".
If the money is not an issue, don't hesitate.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Dec 11, 2009 at 1:51:32 pm

Avid Media Composer v.4 can now do this in the timeline, surprisingly well.

I just tested a timeline with a mix of NTSC SD, PAL SD, 720p and 1080i and my jaw basically dropped.

Return to posts index

Edmond Buckley
on Dec 11, 2009 at 1:56:58 pm

Thanks guys.

Money is tight so this Avid option seems interesting - what settings should I use for this John?

Thanks

Edmond

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Dec 11, 2009 at 2:16:12 pm

You can download a fully functional 30 day demo from the Avid website before making your decision.

Basically, if you are going to convert between PAL and NTSC, you have to set up 2 projects...but you can open a bin from the other project and drop its clips in your timeline. The clip is instantly converted and plays in real time. If you want the highest quality conversion, you can render it at the end using one of several types of interpolation (these are the same options as their speed changes, called Timewarp).

If you are using compatible frame rates, you don't need two separate projects (HD and SD NTSC, etc)...just change the project settings temporarily.

John

Return to posts index

Jim Watt
on Feb 10, 2010 at 12:06:40 am

We have done a couple of hundred HD 60i to 50i conversions using the Alchemist and our clients rave about them. We tested the Teranex and several software conversions and none were acceptable to our clients. Will be interesting to see what they think of the Avid conversion. We'll run a test and send it to them.

Thanks for the info.

Producer/DP, HD series, "Discoveries...America", "Discoveries...Ireland", "Discoveries...Spain",
"Discoveries...Argentina", Discoveries...India", "Discoveries...Asia", "Discoveries...Africa"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]