FORUMS: list search recent posts

footage house, photo JPEG codec vs 8-bit uncompressed?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Campbell
footage house, photo JPEG codec vs 8-bit uncompressed?
on Dec 10, 2009 at 9:56:00 pm

I've downloaded some footage from a footage house that uses the Photo JPEG codec at 864x486, square pixels, field dominance set to None @ 30i. This will be standard def TV spot, so my easy set up is uncompressed 8-bit. My question is, should I use compressor to crop and change the downloaded Photo JPEG footage to 8-bit uncompressed with proper aspect ratio, 4x3, and lower field dominance?

Or should I just let FCP set my sequence and edit using the clips codec and crop and change on output with compressor? Which will yield better results? Or how do others handle this with purchased footage?

OS 10.5.5, Mac Pro 2 x 3 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 9 gb ram, with BM Intensity Pro card

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: footage house, photo JPEG codec vs 8-bit uncompressed?
on Dec 10, 2009 at 10:22:49 pm

This downloaded stock footage will be the only clips in your FCP sequence, right? If so, when you do this conversion -- before or after the edit -- shouldn't impact the image quality. Being the lazy bum I am, I'd only want to do it once, so I'd be inclined to do it after the edit.

But if you're mixing various kinds of footage in the sequence, all bets are off.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Dec 10, 2009 at 10:32:50 pm

Your correct. Its the only footage in the edit. But the clip being 864x486 with square pixels doesn't have the same vertical res. as NTSC 8-bit uncompressed. I guess due to the aspect ratio and being NTSC. I dropped the Photo JPEG, which I think is lossless too, into the 8-bit uncmp sequence and in the motion tab set it to 100% and it still didn't fill the frame. With using compressor and cropping to 4x3, will that end up scaling up the footage a bit to fill the frame?

I would letterbox but being the subject matter that it is, we want it to feel more organic and natural. So full frame is what we're going for.

OS 10.5.5, Mac Pro 2 x 3 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 9 gb ram, with BM Intensity Pro card

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 10, 2009 at 10:49:53 pm

I just LOVE using After Effects for stuff like this. AE knows that 864x486 is 16x9 in square pixels.

I'd import that Photo JPEG footage -- which is 16x9, as you're probably aware -- and drop it into a 29.97 720x486 D1 Comp. Poof! Instant center punch for 4x3! No tweaking needed! Then render in 8-bit uncompressed.

I suppose Motion could do the same thing, but I'll be darned if I know how.

In Compressor, you'd have to crop to 648x486, then export as 720x486.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Dec 10, 2009 at 11:25:19 pm

Just what I was looking for. Although, I don't have AE. But we're upgrading to CS4 soon and I've already put in for it. Just another app to learn. But can't wait. Anyway, I'll see if Motion can handle this bad boy. If not I'll prob just edit in the native codec and crop on export. Thanks for your help Dave. Much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 11, 2009 at 2:09:05 am

All that makes no sense for me.
Th first think you should do is to conform the Time-base to 29'98, because you don't gonna deliver at 30fps, don't you?
The size is perfect 16x9 (Square pixels) so you can just drop it in any NTSC Anamorphic sequence.
You don't need to convert nothing, neither use AE or Motion, Just make sure that FC recognize that the pixels are Square.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Dec 11, 2009 at 1:00:50 pm

Rafael, the clip already is 29.97. In the browser it shows as 29.97, field dom None, square pixels Photo JPEG codec. The clip was describe on Corbis as 864x486 30i. I don't quite understand why i would want FCP to recognize the pixels as square when I need it to be a NTSC deliverable. And why use an anamorphic sequence, unless you mean for me to convert on output?

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 12, 2009 at 1:28:30 pm

[Matt Campbell] " And why use an anamorphic sequence, unless you mean for me to convert on output? "
Sorry about this Matt, I've read your post too fast. You clearly say that you go NTSC 4x3.
Cheers,
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Dec 11, 2009 at 3:21:14 am

Personally, I'd use Compressor for this. Either make a default setting with default location and import all of the shots to batch convert everything, or make a droplet and drop all of the shots on them.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Dec 15, 2009 at 3:16:18 pm

Dave, FYI, Motion was able to center cut the 16:9 clip in a D1 NTSC project. However, even though it doesn't say so in the properties tab, compared to the 16:9 clip in a NTSC timeline in FCP, I think the clip was scaled up slightly to fill the frame. There is a tiny bit of banding and artifacts in the clip. But nothing major or noticeable on the TV. I think Compressors resizing filter would did a better job of this. Either way, they both worked. Thanks everyone for all the comments.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 15, 2009 at 3:43:23 pm

Thanks for writing back! Not too many people do that.

It's very timely, too: I have to deal with a few 16x9 shots recorded as anamorphic on Beta SP today. I'll try both methods you mention.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]