FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rubbish Sound

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Samantha Newton
Rubbish Sound
on Dec 10, 2009 at 11:55:40 am

I shot some footage a while ago which I now want to edit. Trouble is when I originally shot it I wasn't up to speed with using the wireless mics. I had the DB set way too high and so the whole thing sounds fuzzy especially on peaks. Is there anyway I can resolve this issue or at least make it a little less roboty.
Thanks

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
David Roth Weiss
Re: Rubbish Sound
on Dec 10, 2009 at 6:15:37 pm

Well, you pretty much nailed it yourself by identifying the audio as "rubbish." Unfortunately, the old adage, "rubbish in, rubbish out," applies in this case Samantha. Unlike analog audio, Digital audio is unforgiving, and it clips and yields significant distortion if allowed to peak above 0dB. You must always keep in mind that there is no headroom at all above that 0dB level in the digital domain, and a 0dB analog test tone is equal to -12dB in the digital domain when dealing with 16-bit audio.

Below is a very good explanation from the FCP manual that you should memorize for all location and post audio needs in the future.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Dec 13, 2009 at 10:02:52 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "a 0dB analog test tone is equal to -12dB in the digital domain when dealing with 16-bit audio."

Actually the SMPTE standard is 0 VU = -20db on 1khz tone. EBU standard is 0 VU = -18db. The 0 VU = -12db is a standard that companies like Tascam tried to introduce but is in fact not the standard that you should work with both for field recording and post production as it doesn't leave you with sufficient headroom on location and you must deliver correct reference and peak levels for broadcasters.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Dec 13, 2009 at 10:36:10 pm

Samantha, distorted audio would have been apparent if you were monitoring with headphones. Meter watching is not the way to monitor sound quality.

As David said, digital audio stops at zero. Everything is then clipped and no there is no magic software to fix it. Some audio restoration systems like CEDAR can make some improvements on certain types of distortion but digital clipping is not easy to repair unless the clipping is slight. Fuzzy sounds a bit beyond that. Minor peak clipping can be helped.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]