FORUMS: list search recent posts

add edit - select clip after edit

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Brown
add edit - select clip after edit
on Dec 9, 2009 at 6:49:05 pm

Whenever I select a clip and add edit, it automatically selects the clip prior to the edit I just made...is there a way to have it select the portion AFTER the edit?

-Jason

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: add edit - select clip after edit
on Dec 9, 2009 at 7:40:55 pm

Afraid not. You don't have to select the clip though to do an add edit.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Dec 9, 2009 at 7:50:44 pm

OK...but editing just the video track (for instance) without cutting the audio track involves using the "auto track selection" right? I'm still getting used to that...it's still a little confusing to me how to effectively use it. I'm used to avid's on/off track selection.

-Jason

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Dec 9, 2009 at 8:41:28 pm

That's right. The autoselect buttons control the add edit function. Cmd-1, 2, 3, 4, etc. will toggle on and off the autoselect buttons for video specific tracks. Opt-1, 2, 3, 4, etc. will toggle the autoselect buttons for audio tracks. These are the numbers on the keypad not the numbers at the top of the QWERTY keyboard.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Dec 9, 2009 at 9:00:30 pm

From an Avid trained editor....This might help you remember...

In FCP the auto select buttons determine what tracks are affected by editorial actions while working within the timeline. The targeting buttons are for editing from the viewer (source) to the timeline.

In Avid, the targeting buttons do both functions.

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Dec 9, 2009 at 9:44:44 pm

yea...and with auto-patch function enabled...it was a one keystroke function to turn on and select a track for editing.

I'm still working on finding the best way to edit with FCP...I was a keyboard fiend on AVID...but I've found myself doing a LOT of dragging and dropping with FCP.

-Jason

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Dec 9, 2009 at 9:49:47 pm

There's a lot of keyboard control in FCP, but the application does work differently. I'm sure you'll find you're own way of working. I almost never drag and drop. The only time I use the mouse is to select something or to double click on something.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on Dec 10, 2009 at 9:49:29 am

Jason,

I'm one for shortcuts too, as I'm sure most editors are. FCP does some simple things that require multiple keystrokes and it winds me up! Yesterday I was looking for a solution to this and came across some software called Butler (it's free). You can use it to build macros, which means a way to create absolutely any shortcut based on a series of user actions.

For example, I've built myself a macro that previews 'next' and 'previous' clips in the browser by pressing either 'PAGE UP' or 'PAGE DOWN'. This replaces what would normally be a series of three keyboard shortcuts. The best part is you can tell it to only affect FCP, so I can still PAGE UP/DOWN in Word etc as normal.

The point is that as long as you can find out the series of shortcuts to what you want to do, you can essentially create any single-button shortcut you want. Well worth looking into.

All the best,
Alex Elkins

Salad Daze Films - Freshly Tossed

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Dec 10, 2009 at 1:28:50 pm

I've heard of butler...I'll look into it.

One thing I miss is the 10 frame forward and back button...I used that ALL the time...I'm going to create a macro for 10 frames forward right now! :)

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on Dec 10, 2009 at 1:37:18 pm

There's a 'Go forward/back one second' shortcut already if that's any good. Shift+right arrow/left arrow

Also if you have an edit point selected you can use , and . to roll/ripple/extend the edit 1 frame, or Shift , or Shitft . to roll/ripple/extend by 5 frames. 5 framers is the default - you can change that to anything you like in the Preferences>Editing tab under 'Multi-frame trim size'

Incidentally, if you go to tools>keyboard layout>customize you can search for any shortcut that may exist in FCP, and re-map to any keys you want. Butler is handy when a function requires more than one shortcut to run in succession.

All the best,
Alex Elkins

Salad Daze Films - Freshly Tossed

Read my blog!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]