FORUMS: list search recent posts

What to render - full or not?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Niklas Wikman
What to render - full or not?
on Dec 8, 2009 at 11:40:24 am

Rendering is often done in FCP.

When a project is finished, I usually let Render Manager delete all render files and then re-render the seqience, prior to output to tape or export to self-contained movie.

But then I wonder - what should I tick under Render Selection? Normally I don't tick anything, but I figure that if I tick Full (unlimited is greyed out for some reason) and then hit Alt-R, then my sequence would be rendered at best quality?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: What to render - full or not?
on Dec 8, 2009 at 12:34:48 pm

Unlimited or Safe affects the RT performance.
By default FC renders at full quality.
You can change this in the Users preferences.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Dec 8, 2009 at 2:56:05 pm

You've been wasting time unless you have lowered the render quality then raise it for the final render.. FCP deletes all unused renders each time you re open a project file that had some associated with it, but then no longer are actually in use. If you have not lowered the default settings for your renders they are all of high quality more or less.. so why spend the time re rendering?

If you render "full" quality effects, you might be lowering the quality of them if you send to tape. If not it doesn't matter quality-wise if you're delivery isn't tape.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

Niklas Wikman
on Dec 8, 2009 at 3:14:33 pm

Thanks for the input, Jerry. The only advantage I've seen re-rendering after deleting the render files is that I free up disk space.

If that's the only good thing, I can live with that it'll take some time re-rendering (our Mac Pro is not the fastest machine anymore, but it seldom takes more than 15-20 minutes to render a sequence).

My delivery is DVD, but I always print out to DVCAM (that's the format we have - and Betacam SP) for backup.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]