FORUMS: list search recent posts

SmoothCam constant re-render

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrei Bocharnikov
SmoothCam constant re-render
on Dec 7, 2009 at 11:09:41 pm

Guys, what is the problem with my clips? I have to constantly re-render all video with SmoothCam plugin applied on. I render it and after some time i see all SmoothCammed clips are red again... It is quite annoying and time consuming.

MacPro Dual Quad 2.8 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM, Leopard 10.5.8, QT 7.6.4, FCS3

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: SmoothCam constant re-render
on Dec 7, 2009 at 11:25:50 pm

Yes, it sucks, doesn't it?

Return to posts index

Andrei Bocharnikov
on Dec 8, 2009 at 12:04:54 am

oh yeah...

it looks like only solution is to switch off all the Smoothcams for smooth editing and at the very end get it on for final render.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 8, 2009 at 12:08:16 am

Then rub your stomach and pat your head at the same time, and meanwhile put your left foot in and do the hokey pokey. That usually works here some of the time.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Chad Brewer
on Dec 8, 2009 at 1:26:20 am

Rendering, rendering, rendering. Everyone is always complaining about rendering times - even on their dual quad Mac Pro's. I like to think of rendering time as a time to reflect on parts of life that are NOT related to video.

By the way David, can the hokey pokey be advantageous in other aspects of video editing besides renders? If so, I'll certainly get a small circle of people together..

Chad Brewer

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Dec 8, 2009 at 3:22:24 am

Make a Qt file of the smoothcam shots and pop them on the track above the original.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 8, 2009 at 5:58:37 am

[Michael Gissing] "Make a Qt file of the smoothcam shots and pop them on the track above the original."

Ah ha, the old Tasmanian workaround...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 8, 2009 at 6:11:34 am

[Chad Brewer] "Rendering, rendering, rendering. Everyone is always complaining about rendering times"

That's because rendering is the only part of editing process that's not limited by the speed of the human being at the controls.

[Chad Brewer] "can the hokey pokey be advantageous in other aspects of video editing besides renders?"

Shane Ross taught me what little I know about the hokey pokey. You'll have to ask him for additional information.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 8, 2009 at 5:12:42 pm

[Chad Brewer] "Everyone is always complaining about rendering times - even on their dual quad Mac Pro's."

Yeah, but it sucks when you render the whole project, save quit and shut down for the day, and the next day you open up your project and all those renders are gone. It's highly frustrating.

Andrei, I suggest you send feedback to Apple because it's an obvious bug.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/finalcutpro.html

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Andrei Bocharnikov
on Dec 8, 2009 at 7:43:48 pm

Jeremy, thank you for the link! I wrote them all I think about their shameful plugin.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 8, 2009 at 7:56:31 pm

The plug-in works great, it's FCP that loses the renders.

In one of the first versions of FCP6, all renders were lost on everything, now it seems to be contained to the SmoothCam plug-in only.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Dec 8, 2009 at 3:24:03 pm

[Andrei Bocharnikov] "Guys, what is the problem with my clips? I have to constantly re-render all video with SmoothCam plugin applied on. I render it and after some time i see all SmoothCammed clips are red again... It is quite annoying and time consuming. "

At the risk of confiming my curmudgeon status, why, I remember when After Effects took a weekend to render ten seconds of one effect on one layer. In those days, we learned how the render pipeline worked and we planned accordingly. Mostly, we prerendered and imported self-contained movies of everything we could. Sometimes we used low rez versions if the effect wasn't locked down.

Optical Flow in Motion and FCP can be easily prerendered.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Andrei Bocharnikov
on Dec 8, 2009 at 3:47:43 pm

thank you all for your tips and tricks! very much appreciated!

I have around 40-50 clips with SmoothCam applied on. I prefer to temporally switch all the SC plugs off and at the end before final render I will switch them all back. I have other plugins applied to that clips and want to have ability to adjust things during the work.

Return to posts index

Andrei Bocharnikov
on Dec 8, 2009 at 3:52:15 pm

[david bogie] "In those days, we learned how the render pipeline worked and we planned accordingly. "

David, it is difficult to plan if I do not know how many times i have to RE-render clips even if I do not touch them. After sometime it just turns to red without any known to me course. I can not say how many times i had to render that SC clips again and again without changing them at all.

Return to posts index

Brad Bussé
on Dec 8, 2009 at 9:29:52 pm

Glad I'm not the only one. I normally stabilize with send to Motion, but recently thought I might save some time on a project that needed lots of smoothing by using SmoothCam....

Return to posts index

Andrei Bocharnikov
on Dec 9, 2009 at 9:34:11 am

[Brad Bussé] "Glad I'm not the only one."

Brad, u are not alone... Let us report this stupid bag to Apple that they move themselves little faster to repair the problem in the next update. Link is in the Jeremy's post up.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]