FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM offline in FCP online in Avid MC

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dave rumbelow
XDCAM offline in FCP online in Avid MC
on Dec 7, 2009 at 11:16:25 am

Hello cows
We have a project heading our way, a film shot on ex3 cameras will be offlined in final cut, it's then coming to us for finishing on media composer. I've been reading around and I'm not totally clear on what to expect. My main questions are is it possible to export an edl out of final cut that avid will understand when using this format and has anyone here done it before.

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
Re: XDCAM offline in FCP online in Avid MC
on Dec 7, 2009 at 3:20:11 pm

Quick answer: This is a BAD idea!

mark

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Dec 7, 2009 at 3:45:11 pm

Do yourselves a favour and check out your Automatic Duck based options, also Calibrated Software's XD Decode quicktime component.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 7, 2009 at 5:16:36 pm

Offline/online between platforms is something that is doable, but tricky. If you shoot to tape, you can have a pretty good workflow as you can recapture the footage. But you definately need http://www.automaticduck.com to make sure that the EDLs exported and imported are done right.

But when it comes to TAPELESS...that's another beast. It is possible via the Duck to go Avid to FCP with media...ALL THE MEDIA. You will definately need this:

http://automaticduck.com/products/pefcp/

But this means that you will need a decent sized drive to be able to store the FULL CLIPS, as the duck doesn't trim and use only what is seen in the cut.

Why finish on an Avid? Why not stay FCP all the way? I know there are some reasons why (we are dealing with a show offlined on FCP, to be online on an Avid...but the tapes to be recatpured...because the network REQUIRES an Avid project and Avid media), I was just curious as to your reasoning.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Dec 8, 2009 at 12:56:48 am

"because the network REQUIRES an Avid project and Avid media"

Shane, my experience has been that this is NEVER an issue. It's negotiable. They just want a project, any project. Brand name is less relevent.

If they insist, I tell them, ooops, we don't use Avid, we only use FCP.

mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]