FORUMS: list search recent posts

Loosing renders in FCP 7.0.1

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andriy Toloshnyy
Loosing renders in FCP 7.0.1
on Dec 5, 2009 at 12:14:47 am

Hi guys,

We have a terrible problem here on a 2.5 hours movie (Shot in PAL HDV originally, 1920x1080 25p ProRES 422 after grading in Color)

There's a lot of smoothcam-ed shots, and after rendering the whole timeline, adjusting any clip and re-rendering it all other clips in timeline looses it's link to previously rendered files.

Had this issue in FCP 6 on different projects, but there only few shots was lost instead of the whole timeline.

Moving the sequence to a new project helped for a couple of shots, but then it came again.

Pretty annoying as it takes about 10 hours to render again.

Anybody have the same on FCP 7? Any workarounds?

thank you!

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
Re: Loosing renders in FCP 7.0.1
on Dec 5, 2009 at 2:11:40 pm

What might be happening here is that when you use smoothcam in FCP, it analizes the entire clip...not just the portion that you used in the timeline. That's why it takes so long for it to analyze the first time around. So...if you have several edits in your timeline from the same master clip, each time you make a change to one of those pieces, you're, in effect, changing the whole master clips underlying render.

The way to avoid this is to make individual master clips of each instance that you use Smoothcam on, or just do the Smoothcam as the last thing you do before delivery...you know what I mean...last render of post production.

I could be misunderstanding your situation but that's the first thing that came to mind. Good luck!

Tony Brittan
Apple Certified Pro - FCP
islandshoreproductions.com

Return to posts index

Andriy Toloshnyy
on Dec 5, 2009 at 8:03:03 pm

Could be like this, but the project already graded and rendered in Color, so all the clips are linked to a separate files, and still it looses the whole timeline except that clip that was ajusted and re-rendered...

Return to posts index

Marino Zullich
on Dec 5, 2009 at 2:59:26 pm

Just finished a project, and had render horrors as well. Losing just generated renders was one thing, but worse yet, the render times were ridiculous, and bottom pit worst, we received memory errors. To overcome the errors we had to export xml files and render on a G5 still running 6.0.6 and writing on the main old sata drive.

We used for this tragicomedy a 3.2 and a 2.66 2008 8-cores, and worse of them all the entry level 2.33 8-core Nehalem... we would have been better off working on iPhones probably, as far as this POS were concerned. Btw, confessing to a hurried bit of shopping, we picked up the 2.33 in the Soho Apple store after asking the floor guy if it matched the 2.66 08 performance: "yeah, of course" said the man.

The 3.2 was outfitted with 32 gigs of ram, reading from an Atto R348 SAS striped raid (4X450gigs,) playing back to none or to IoHD properly patched (7.1 for 7.0.1); the 2.66 with 16 gigs ram reading from a Highpoint 2something striped raid (4X750 3g sata) that always proved solid, playback through Kona3 or none; the POS had 16 gigs of ram, a snow-leoparded Highpoint 4011 to a striped 3g sata raid, playing back to... dropped frames, pretty much.

We upgraded our three seats to fcp 7 because we shot the project on P2s intra and wanted to have ready available footage (which we did, in fairness) to a prores hq workflow. The humongous problem was bringing in the timelines the pix...

We could have wrapped all this with a simple bah-humbag and move on, but we had 3 commercial editors on staff and the downtime resulted in a significant financial loss. More importantly, we had to compromise the programs looks to accommodate the project to its schedule...

Return to posts index

Liam Lawyer
on Feb 28, 2010 at 2:52:02 am

I am a bit late responding on this, but what kind of storage are you using?

I work at a facility that uses Unity for shared storage and we had lots of problems with losing renders until we updated the Fibre Manager software to the latest version. Now - never happens any more.

Perhaps you had a similar problem?

Liam Lawyer
-editor-

Return to posts index

Jason Byfield
on Jan 12, 2011 at 8:20:23 pm

I'm having issues losing renders and I've fully updated the Unity MediaNetwork software and the fiber client software. Can I get the machine specs and software versions you're using for both the client and the Unity?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]