FORUMS: list search recent posts

Arrange by Date View As Large Icons

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Beaty
Arrange by Date View As Large Icons
on Dec 4, 2009 at 7:31:24 pm

One of the interface things that's annoyed me from day one in Final Cut Pro is the lack of sorting options in the icon view. I like this view coming from Media 100 years ago. But I need to sort my clips to edit effectively. So I resort to using list view - even though I want to use large icon view.

One work around I discovered was when dealing with P2 media. The naming is alpha numeric based and not alphabetical. 0013TD.mov will not sort in Large Icon View By File Name.

Work around: Use the program utility "A Better Finder Renamer" from downloads.com to rename all the P2 names by Date and Time (remember to use the SS for seconds.) Then open Large Icon View and select arrange by Name...and they are now sorted by file creation date!!!

The registered version will do hundred of clips in a couple secs!

Dave

Dave Beaty
Dreamtime Entertainment
1625 SE 46th St
Cape Coral FL 33904
239-549-4081
800-446-7575
dave@dreamtimeentertainment.com
http://www.dreamtimeentertainment.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Arrange by Date View As Large Icons
on Dec 4, 2009 at 7:52:17 pm

The view I use is list view plus thumbnail - because that's the view I used with Media 100. I find myself working with clients and they're not usually asking for a shot by date. They're usually calling for either an image they remember ("a close up of the product") or they may have a paper log and say something like "it's around 4 min 50 sec." With list view plus thumb I can browse images or sort by media start.

Return to posts index

Raymond Tuquero
on Dec 4, 2009 at 8:31:40 pm

You can see large icons with a frame and in list view.

when you are in list view ... right click (Ctrl + click if you have a one button mouse) one of the sort menus (duration / media start / reel, etc) and then choose View thumbnails under the dialogue box that pops up. You will then have a list view with large thumbs.

Just like in Media 100 ... I was use to Media 100 844x ... so I know what you meant about Final Cut Pro not having that same file system as a default ...

But make the changes with that custom menu then save your layout ... and then from then on you can always reload that layout.

-Raymond Tuquero-
Houston Based Freelancer
http://www.rtuqvidere.com

Return to posts index

Dave Beaty
on Dec 4, 2009 at 8:50:39 pm

I am pretty happy with the options in the list view mode. I use this when I need the extra info. Of course with thumbs turned on.

The other Sort in the Large Icon View I wish Apple would add would be Sort by Timecode Start, Sort by Reel, Sort by Comment...Media Creation Date...

Then add an option to choose the size of the icons, 2-3 times the large size would be nice. But really, just sorting them by the order from the shoot is the biggest thing I've been wanting...in Large Icon View.

Once you get used to editing with this mode - it grows on you.

Dave

Dave Beaty
Dreamtime Entertainment
1625 SE 46th St
Cape Coral FL 33904
239-549-4081
800-446-7575
dave@dreamtimeentertainment.com
http://www.dreamtimeentertainment.com

Return to posts index

Raymond Tuquero
on Dec 4, 2009 at 9:24:13 pm

I agree ... in the Large Thumbnails I also wished they would add the feature for a sort by reel or start timecode. ... the whole sort by name or length doesn't cut it for me either.

Just like many of u, my clients sit over my shoulder and choose what shot they want to see by the thumbnail in the bin.

the good thing about list view is you can also have the log notes beside your shot. Good for note taking certain shots.

-Raymond Tuquero-
Houston Based Freelancer
http://www.rtuqvidere.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]