FORUMS: list search recent posts

Speed changes not encoding in quicktime conversions

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Bluffield
Speed changes not encoding in quicktime conversions
on Dec 3, 2009 at 8:20:57 am

Hi all,

I've encountered a strange problem that I've never experienced before when I export my timeline using quicktime version. My project is XDCAM EX 1080i in FCP 7.01 and when I export using quicktime conversion the clips I have applied speed changes to either show as black or freeze frame. When I export as a quicktime reference file it's fine. Any ideas guys?

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Speed changes not encoding in quicktime conversions
on Dec 3, 2009 at 11:45:13 am

Not using xdcam so don't know of issues there, but what are you needing to do for what reason? QT conversion will recompress the files, but QT export using "current" settings won't.. you need to convert it to another format? Which one?

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

Alex Bluffield
on Dec 3, 2009 at 11:56:56 am

Hi Jerry

I usually convert using quicktime conversion to a 640x360 frame size with AAC audio at 44khz, 128bitrate and video setting left at high. This is to upload to the web. On this occasion I was uploading to Vimeo. As I said I've never had this problem before - I can only think it's something about the xdcam ex codec that quicktime doesn't like?

Alex Bluffield
Final Cut Pro Editor
W: http://www.a2bpostproduction.co.uk

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Dec 3, 2009 at 12:05:25 pm

I think there's a problem with the GOP structure being transcoded to yet another GOP structure in the media files you're working with, and it may well be a bug in FCP 7... but that said, here's my thinking on a work around:

Try exporting one of the errant clips by itself to ProRes. then encode that to the H.264 codec you're trying to use...and see if the problem goes away. If this works, change the render controls in your XDCAM sequence to render to ProRes... if that fails, then you'll need to export the whole sequence to ProRes, and encode that...

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]