FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sequence Settings

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Doritan
Sequence Settings
on Dec 2, 2009 at 5:13:54 pm

Ok so I've captured a video with a capture card, it's captured at 720 x 480.

When I drag it in Final Cut I get these awful black bars around the whole video, I've tried to change the canvas size in sequence settings but when I do it really messes up the quality of the video, it gets all blurry.

does anyone know why this is?

thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Sequence Settings
on Dec 2, 2009 at 5:26:17 pm

[James Doritan] "I've captured a video with a capture card, it's captured at 720 x 480"

To what codec? 720x480? That is DV and DV50 resolution.

What you need to do is choose and EASY SETUP that matches the format you captured to...create a new sequence, then use that new sequence. IF you had FCP 6 or 7, when you cut the clip into the sequence FCP would ask "would you like to change the sequence settings to match the clip settings?" to which you should click OK.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

James Doritan
on Dec 2, 2009 at 5:30:12 pm

I've clicked OK when it asked "would you like to change the sequence settings to match the clip settings" and i've still got these black bars around my video, this is so confusing to me, any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 2, 2009 at 5:50:42 pm

Again, what is the format of your footage? When you open the files in Quicktime, do you still see the black bars?

Shane

Return to posts index

James Doritan
on Dec 2, 2009 at 6:41:10 pm

This is the info I could find in the "Get Info" window.

But the problem is it's been captured it in a weird ratio, and it looks like this in quicktime

In final cut I'd like to make it 16:9 with a canvas size of 686 x 385, just like this...

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 2, 2009 at 6:49:35 pm

[James Doritan] "In final cut I'd like to make it 16:9 with a canvas size of 686 x 385, just like this... "

That isn't a standard frame size that FCP can deal with without a lot of rendering. Choose the DV/NTSC ANAMORPHIC sequence setting, and check the footage off as ANAMORPHIC and things might look better. But DV is 720x480 always...but if you choose ANAMORPHIC, then it will make it 16:9.

Shane

Return to posts index

James Doritan
on Dec 2, 2009 at 6:56:05 pm

I've got the settings set as shown.

This is how the video is being shown in the canvas viewer, see those black bars around the whole video, that's what I'd like to get rid of. I'd like the video to go to the edge of the canvas, no black bars. Any ideas how to achieve this?

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 2, 2009 at 7:13:28 pm

Well, I don't know what that is. Sorry.

Shane

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 2, 2009 at 7:14:06 pm

[James Doritan] " I'd like the video to go to the edge of the canvas, no black bars. Any ideas how to achieve this? "

Load the clip into the viewer by double-clicking on it, and scale it up a few percentage points. You're done...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

James Doritan
on Dec 2, 2009 at 7:15:38 pm

Well that would be at 110% and messes with the quality, any other suggestions?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 2, 2009 at 8:45:50 pm

You're seeing a side by side comparison James, so of course it looks a little softer to you, but no one else will see them side by side.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Dec 2, 2009 at 10:22:53 pm

James, the quality will be fine. Just monitor the video on a proper NTSC monitor. Don't have one? Set the Canvas to 100% precisely and you'll see the final quality.

Kevin Monahan
60 Blu-ray Templates for Final Cut Studio 2009
http://www.fcpworld.com
Author - Motion Graphics and Effects in Final Cut Pro

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Dec 2, 2009 at 10:39:07 pm

The Wii is a pain in the butt to capture from because it strays from broadcast standards (and capturing in DV doesn't help out the situation either). We send 16x9 480p out of Wii into a scan converter that embeds that 480p signal into a 720p signal (we don't up convert so it's a 16x9 image in the middle w/black borders on all four sides), capture in 720p and then edit in a custom DV50 16x9, progressive timeline. When we resize the 720p footage to 100% it fills up the 16x9 SD frame (well, almost fills up the frame) and having it progressive instead of interlaced makes a world of difference in terms of quality.

If your footage is going to be played back on a TV then your only option is to zoom in. If it's for the web you can edit w/the black bars in FCP and just crop them off w/Compressor (or whatever program you use to compress for the web).

-Andrew

3.2GHz 8-core, FCP 6.0.4, 10.5.5
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (6.8.1)

Return to posts index

James Doritan
on Dec 2, 2009 at 11:39:18 pm

I'm using a Blackmagic Intensity Pro card and I'm using a component cable from the Wii. Problem is apparently you can't capture the 480p from the Wii via the card so I've had to opt for NTSC. Do you know any way around this?

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Dec 3, 2009 at 3:31:55 am

AFAIK no I/O equipment will handle 480p as it's a not a standard format. That's why we use the scan converter to take the 480p and convert it into something broadcast equipment will like (in our case 720p). The down side is the scan converter we use (Barco Image Pro HD) is around $8k. There might be cheaper options out there, but this is the only one I've used.

-Andrew

3.2GHz 8-core, FCP 6.0.4, 10.5.5
Blackmagic Multibridge Eclipse (6.8.1)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]