FORUMS: list search recent posts

I just can't explain this. Can you?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Craig
I just can't explain this. Can you?
on Dec 2, 2009 at 3:14:46 am

I am working with video/audio data from a Panasonic Lumix camera, which records to flash memory as .mts files. That's a form of mpeg, as I understand it.

Anyway, when I inserted the memory card into my studio edit system (OctoCore, Leopard, Final Cut Prof 6.05)and tried to do a Log & Transfer of the files, FCP didn't recognize the card and could not import the data. But here's the strange part: When I tried to do exactly the same thing on my MacBook Pro, running the same version of FCP, it was a breeze. FCP Log & Transfer immediately recognized the memory card and imported the files. Clean and simple.

Well, fine, except that I have to make this work on the studio machine. BTW, I also tested this on my DP's MacBook Pro and everything worked smooth as silk again. Does anyone have any idea what the blockage might be on my studio machine?

TIA for any help.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: I just can't explain this. Can you?
on Dec 2, 2009 at 3:40:10 am

Could the reader be bad? Are there bugs with it and the mac pro? Are there drivers for this reader?

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 2, 2009 at 5:09:32 am

Does this happens with more than one flash cards?

You may try open the Disk Utility and look if the card shows up.
If so, click in the for the "Mounting Point".
That should make the cards show up in the Finder.
Reformat the cards after downloading.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Ron Craig
on Dec 2, 2009 at 4:23:05 pm

Both good points, Jerry & Rafael. Thanks for taking the time.

I realized that I left out key pieces of information on my first post: The flash cards are recognized by both the Finder AND by FCP. That is to say, the card mounts on the desktop and I can access the files in Finder. Also, although Log & Transfer "sees" the card, it can't access the files because, according to an on-screen notice, the file structure on the card is the problem. This happens only on the Octocore; not the two MacBook Pros, where L & T accessed the files just fine.

I have tried with three different flash cards and had the same result with all three. I also copied the entire contents of one card to an external drive and tried to access the files that way but, once again, Log & Transfer on the Octocore said the file structure prevented it from proceeding.

Once again, thanks for your time on this.

Return to posts index

Dennis Leppell
on Dec 2, 2009 at 5:46:15 pm

perhaps it's other software installed on the laptops that enable them to see/use the files. Mpeg streamclip, VLC player, etc. As far as I know, FCP doesn't use .mts out of the box (I could be wrong about that).

Return to posts index

Ron Craig
on Dec 2, 2009 at 5:50:47 pm

The strange thing is that the Octocore has a lot more software than the MacBook Pros. For example, it has Streamclip, whereas the MacBooks don't.

Odd..............

Return to posts index

Michael Craven
on Dec 2, 2009 at 8:11:44 pm

I experienced the same problem with my macs (P2, not .mts)- worked on the MBP but not on the quad-core. Unfortunately I don't remember what fixed it. I had given up on it and then tried again months later to find that it was working. It could have been an update to FCP - I'm currently running 6.0.6. I think I also remember someone saying that the FXFactory plugins might be conflicting. I wish I knew exactly what it was.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]