FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can I somehow merge clips retroactively?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rodney Calhoun
Can I somehow merge clips retroactively?
on Dec 2, 2009 at 12:30:36 am

I'm assisting on an HD feature, I started on the project well into the post process so luckily I can't take the blame for the organization problems we're experiencing.

The source footage was shot with a 2 channel mono mix scratch married to the video. The 4 additional split audio tracks were recorded to a dat and not synced to timecode. The rough cut of the film has been completed using the 2 channel scratch mix. Now that the film is basically picture locked and ready for a mix, we need to get the 4 split tracks sunk to picture and into the timeline. I created "syncing sequences" for each scene and manually sunk each shot with the additional audio using the stix, and linked the new audio to the old clips. While testing this process it worked like a charm and when I match framed a shot from the completed film the newly linked audio would show up in the viewer ready to be added to the timeline. Fast forward a few brutal days of syncing, and I'm ready to throw the good audio into the final sequence but now when I match frame from the completed film, fcp brings up the shot without the the 4 newly linked tracks i need.

Please HELP!

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Can I somehow merge clips retroactively?
on Dec 2, 2009 at 3:45:50 am

You linked the audio to the video how? Creating merged clips or just in these syncing sequences?

Jerry

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Dec 2, 2009 at 3:49:08 am

Might look at this: http://www.AssistedEditing.com/Sync-N-Link/

Jerry

Return to posts index

Rodney Calhoun
on Dec 2, 2009 at 5:10:42 pm

I linked the clips using the link function (cmd L) in the modify menu.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Dec 2, 2009 at 7:34:16 pm

That links them in that sequence only... so won't work for what you want to do...

I realize the decision to work the way they did wasn't yours but gotta say it's way dumb.

The only thing that will perform a permanent link between audio and video is to MERGE the clips. You're half way there though. just perform a match frame on the audio, then put an in point there. Then without changing the playhead position, perform a match frame on the video and then put an in point in the clip in the Viewer. Problem is that when you then perform a match frame in the sequence you're trying to put the real audio in, it will pull up the original clip without the audio...

Well, I think that the only way to do what you need to do now is to use your synced sequences, (since you've done the sync, use it) and manually perform an audio edit clip by clip... but use the TC established in your synced sequences to make this easier.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]