FORUMS: list search recent posts

broadcast audio

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bradley greenwell
broadcast audio
on Dec 1, 2009 at 10:44:13 pm

Hello,

I am currently editing a show in DVCpro HD that will be broadcast in standard def. My question is with audio. Currently everything gets mixed down to 2 channels. Is there a right way or a wrong way to this.
Should I export all the talent voice, then export all the sound and music separately. Or do I just mix everything into 2 tracks?

Thanks

Bradley J.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: broadcast audio
on Dec 1, 2009 at 11:00:39 pm

I highly recommend you get a sound post production facility to tracklay & mix. FCP is a blunt instrument when it comes to audio editing and mixing.

Tight control of peak compression and limiting is required to meet broadcast spec and have the apparent loudness and punch of the programs either side of yours.

Return to posts index

bradley greenwell
on Dec 1, 2009 at 11:20:45 pm

I appreciate the response.

What if a sound facility is not in the budget. Is there a slightly better way to do it then mixing everything into 2 tracks?

The way I do the program now is, I deliver them a DVCPRO HD file on a hard drive. They down convert the show to SD and broadcast the dvc pro tape in which it was down converted to. If I deliver them a file with 4 audio tracks, 1/2 being voice and 3/4 being music and fx will that better the overall sound. Or would it be pretty much the same with just the overall mix into 2 tracks?

I appreciate this conversation

thanks

Bradley J.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 1, 2009 at 11:30:00 pm

What do the network specs call for? Discovery, for example, wants Stereo on 1&2, mix minus narration on 3&4, Music only on 5&6, mono FX on 7, mono interviews on 8 and mono narration on 9. PBS (KCET) calls for Stereo mix on 1&2, and Mix minus narration on 3&4...and that's it.

So what are the requirements for your delivery?

My mix is all handled by a mixer with ProTools, who delivers the audio stems (separate tracks) on a data DVD as WAV files that I import. If you are trying to do this all in FCP, then you will have to export your audio as separate files, then reimport onto a new duplicated sequence.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

bradley greenwell
on Dec 1, 2009 at 11:45:42 pm

Thanks for the response Shane.

Its for PBS, and yes its all within FCP.

From what I understand. Export video separately, export voice on 1/2 tracks separately, export music and fx separately. import all into FCP and lay them on top of each other and do a final export of everything.

I'm curious how you do it.

You cut a show together with no music or balancing of voices, send it off to your audio guy and he delivers you the tracks in perfect balanced audio in which you put back into your timeline. Is that it?

Bradley J.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 1, 2009 at 11:59:44 pm

[bradley greenwell] "Export video separately, "

No. Duplicate your sequence and strip out all the audio. Have a 2-pop at 58:58:00 so that you can line up your exported audio.

[bradley greenwell] "export voice on 1/2 tracks separately, export music and fx separately."

Well... that doesn't seem right at all. With that you don't have a full stereo mix on two tracks. AGAIN, what do the networks specs require. I'm guessing that you need a stereo mix, then a mix that is minus something. So I'd export a full mix as stereo AIFF, import that to the duplicated sequence (match to the 2-pop), then disable whatever tracks you need to and again, export an AIFF. Then import that and put on 3 and 4.

This is all theoretical. I am just thinking about what I might do. I haven't done this in practice.

[bradley greenwell] "I'm curious how you do it. "

I OMF my sequence to a professional audio mixer who mixes the show and provides me with the stems I need.

[bradley greenwell] "You cut a show together with no music or balancing of voices, send it off to your audio guy and he delivers you the tracks in perfect balanced audio in which you put back into your timeline. Is that it? "

No...I cut the show with full audio. Voices, sound effects, music. I make it sound as good as I can, as the producers/networks demand it. Then I OMF EVERYTHING to the audio house and they do the full mix.

Shane

Return to posts index

bradley greenwell
on Dec 2, 2009 at 12:18:34 am

Thanks Shane, you've helped out a lot.

I appreciate it

Thanks

p.s. will this theoretically sound better, you think?

Bradley J.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 2, 2009 at 12:39:54 am

Sound better than what?

Shane

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Dec 2, 2009 at 2:11:06 am

In the grand scheme of things professional audio is a tiny portion of most broadcast budgets and probably the best value for money.

Honestly, find the money or be prepared for a whole world of pain because I do not get the impression that you know enough about audio and deliverables to do this yourself in FCP.

Return to posts index

bradley greenwell
on Dec 2, 2009 at 5:23:28 am

can you refer me to an audio professional?

thanks

brad

Bradley J.

Return to posts index

bradley greenwell
on Dec 2, 2009 at 5:23:06 am

can you refer me to an audio professional?

thanks

brad

Bradley J.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 2, 2009 at 5:23:40 am

Where are you located?

Shane

Return to posts index

bradley greenwell
on Dec 2, 2009 at 5:35:08 am

I'm in the Inland empire, Riverside Ca

Bradley J.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 2, 2009 at 5:30:58 pm

Well, I can give you several places here in Los Angeles. This being Hollywood there are TONS to choose from. I HIGHLY recommend Tree Falls in Universal City.

http://services.creativecow.net/s/294/tree_falls_post

Then there is MINT MIX down here in Santa Monica...

316 S. Venice Blvd
Venice, CA 90291
323 . 804 . 1993
http://www.mintmix.net

You can tell both that I referred you.

Shane

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Dec 2, 2009 at 2:26:00 pm

Bradley -

PBS specs call for stereo on 1&2, and a mono mix on 3&4.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

bradley greenwell
on Dec 2, 2009 at 6:54:35 pm

so on 3 and 4 would it be

mono mix of voice/narration on 3
mono mix of music on 4

thanks

Bradley J.

Return to posts index