FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media Manager will not open

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Griffith
Media Manager will not open
on Dec 1, 2009 at 4:54:39 pm

I created a slide show for a client and am now finished and need to backup/move the project. When I click on media manager, the reel icon pops up for a brief second and then disappears. No error, media manager window doesn't come up, nothing. I did two projects for this company with the same exact settings, no media manager issues on the other one.

I have tried restarting, trashing prefs, opening and re-saving an auto-save, copying the project into a new project with no luck. Any ideas?

FCP 6.0.6
PPC
Project is 1920x1080
Apple prores422 HQ

Return to posts index

david bogie
Re: Media Manager will not open
on Dec 1, 2009 at 6:40:51 pm

A "reel icon?" What is that?

Your diagnostics should start with trying to MM a known project, not doing all that other stuff.

Your post offers some clues that you are not using Media Manager properly but it's impossible to tell from here without watching.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Chris Griffith
on Dec 1, 2009 at 6:45:39 pm

The FCP movie reel icon. Like the hour glass in windows. Basically it acts like it's going to open media manager, but nothing happens.

I can use media manager for any other project except this one. I tried all that other stuff because it works on every project except this one.

It's not that I am using media manager improperly, it's that it will not open at all on that specific project. i have been using FCP and media manger for years, and have never seen media manager not open.

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Dec 1, 2009 at 8:32:48 pm

q[Chris Griffith] "The FCP movie reel icon. Like the hour glass in windows. Basically it acts like it's going to open media manager, but nothing happens.
I can use media manager for any other project except this one. I tried all that other stuff because it works on every project except this one.
It's not that I am using media manager improperly, it's that it will not open at all on that specific project. i have been using FCP and media manger for years, and have never seen media manager not open. "

'K. Try logging in as a different user?
I've been using FCP since v3 but I've never seen an FCP movie reel icon.

Here's the statement that bugs me:
When I click on media manager, the reel icon pops up for a brief second and then disappears.

I was going to ask you to clarify that statement but, since you're not doing anything wrong and you know what you're doing, I don't need to. Hope you get it figured out.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Chris Griffith
on Dec 1, 2009 at 8:56:21 pm

Ok dude, go

File> Media Manager > (watch your mouse pointer)

In the time it takes to load the Media Manager menu, watch your mouse pointer turn briefly from an arrow, to a gray movie reel. It happens so quick you may not have noticed(I would include a screen capture of the movie reel icon, but I can't catch it in time). But that's not the issue. I was just pointing out that it acts like it's going to load, but does not.

When I got to File> Media Manager> (only on this specific project) the media manager menu will not load at all. Thats what I'm asking about.

All I was saying is I use media manager a lot, and I know when I go to file> media manager> and the menu does not load there is a problem.

I don't have any issues using media manager, just need to figure out why it will not load up, only on this one particular project.

Return to posts index

Chris Griffith
on Dec 1, 2009 at 9:36:11 pm

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 1, 2009 at 10:26:51 pm

You say a slideshow. Are these stills?

What are you selecting to media manage, everything?

Return to posts index

Chris Griffith
on Dec 1, 2009 at 10:29:21 pm

Thanks for the reply. I've tried selecting everything as well as nothing, and pretty much any combination. I also tried to just grab the sequence itself. No luck. Super frustrating, ideas?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 2, 2009 at 4:01:42 pm

[Chris Griffith] "I also tried to just grab the sequence itself."

Meaning right clicked on it an chose Media Manger from the drop down? i don't understand if you are trying to move the whole project, why don't you simply just move the whole project through the finder?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Chris Griffith
on Dec 2, 2009 at 7:43:09 pm

Yes, right click on the sequence> media manager, or thru file>media manager no difference. I'm guessing I will end up moving it through finder. MM sure makes it easier because I have so many files and revisions it's going to take a while. Can't find a reason why MM would refuse to open.

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Dec 1, 2009 at 10:54:37 pm

Oh, that's not an "icon," that is a "cursor." Hence my confusion.
Now that I understand our language differences, maybe Jeremy can help you.
Have you tried to select the sequence instead of the individual media items?

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Chris Griffith
on Dec 1, 2009 at 10:58:43 pm

Yeah, I've tried that. Like I said I did two projects exactly the same structure and format. No MM problems on the other one.

I was starting to think that it was because I have .psd linked files, but it worked out fine on the other project.

Something really goofy going on.

Return to posts index

Chris Griffith
on Dec 1, 2009 at 10:41:37 pm

So now you see the reel cursor right? But since you had never seen it before, it didn't exist right?

Return to posts index

Joe Pettinati
on Dec 7, 2009 at 4:57:46 pm

Hey, I've had this problem before.

The issue could be with your directory? Too many files in too different places. It could also be a corrupt file in the sequence.

Instead of doing the entire sequence, try media managing just one clip in the sequence. Does it pop up? Try larger chunks. You probably have to determine which file is corrupt and replace it. The possibility is that all files are corrupt.

Return to posts index

Djame Goldston
on Feb 1, 2010 at 9:00:12 pm

Hey Chris, I just had this exact problem.

It ended up being a PSD file that FCP didn't like. The PSD was also put into a stand alone sequence. I deleted both of these assets and FCP opened Media Manager. Luckily this PSD was not used in the final sequence. The entire project was a mix of QTs (Animation), PNGs, and luckily just one other PSD file. This made it fairly easy to lock down the trouble file.

Hope you were able to find your error! This is one of the thousands of exceptions to the rule that we deal with on a daily basis. Glad I found his thread! And props to Joe Pettinati for the corrupt file suggestion.
_

..V, (^_^)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]