FORUMS: list search recent posts

Beach Ball Blues

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Berdan
Beach Ball Blues
on Nov 30, 2009 at 11:05:12 pm

Every 10 or 20 minutes or so I get a spinning beach ball interruption for about 10 seconds (seems like forever!). In searching for cause, here are the things I eliminated but which had no effect:

Took project off of the same drive as media and put it on an external USB drive (slap my wrist for that one!)
Turned off Time Machine.
Made sure Spotlight wasn't searching anything but internal drive.
Had just one modest project open.

Still happening....

MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, 10.5.8, 4 gigs ram
FCP 7.0.1
ProRes-LT media on G-Raid 4TB via FW800

Brian Berdan
migrant filmworker

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
Re: Beach Ball Blues
on Nov 30, 2009 at 11:08:02 pm

What is your autosave interval set to? do you have anything else plugged into the same FW Bus as the G-Raid(deck, I/O device...) how big is the project file??

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

Return to posts index

Brian Berdan
on Nov 30, 2009 at 11:17:42 pm

Hey Colin,
Project size is 14MB
Ah, yes, it must be just really slow auto-saving... I have that at 10 minutes (made it short after getting crashes early in my short FCP experience). Seems like it would save faster for such a small project... unless that's not small by FCP standards.

Brian Berdan
migrant filmworker

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 30, 2009 at 11:22:56 pm

If you have a lot of media on a slow media drive, it takes a while to autosave and it also makes FCP run slow over all.

This is why so many of us run very high speed RAIDs with 4, 6, 8, 16 or more drives. Faster speeds mean better performance of FCP. There's no way around that.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Brian Berdan
on Nov 30, 2009 at 11:30:00 pm

Thanks Walter,
Next week I'll be running this off a desktop (3.2 8core Harpertown) and running the G-Raid via e-SATA... hope that helps.

Brian Berdan
migrant filmworker

Return to posts index

Raymond Tuquero
on Nov 30, 2009 at 11:33:04 pm

G-Raid is nice ... and eSata does help ... but in the future I would recommend the Raid via Fibre Channel or using internal HardDrives. They are easy to install on the MacPros.

-Raymond Tuquero-
Houston Based Freelancer
http://www.rtuqvidere.com

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
on Nov 30, 2009 at 11:42:08 pm

[Raymond Tuquero] "in the future I would recommend the Raid via Fibre Channel or using internal HardDrives"

A fiber RAID definitely, But why would you recommend an internal hardrive over an e-Sata RAID?

A G-Speed eS RAID 5 or the like is far faster and more secure than an internal drive.

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

Return to posts index

Raymond Tuquero
on Dec 1, 2009 at 3:15:18 pm

Colin McQuillan - -

In my experience the external eSata drives haven't been as reliable as my Internal drives of my MacPro. I have had 3 crash already ... (If you are wondering I also have an XRaid in our edit suite, the externals were mainly for AE graphics and FCP renders) The speed on the eSata is 1.5Gbits/s Vs the Sata at 3Gbits/s. I have also noticed when I do color corrections on 1920x1080 footage it runs better with the internal harddrive footage than footage on the External eSata.

But again that is my experience.

-Raymond Tuquero-
Houston Based Freelancer
http://www.rtuqvidere.com

Return to posts index

Colin McQuillan
on Dec 1, 2009 at 4:44:38 pm

A single e-Sata disk sure, but the poster was talking about a RAID, not a single disk....

Colin McQuillan
Vancouver, B.C.

Return to posts index

Brian Berdan
on Nov 30, 2009 at 11:33:54 pm

Actually, now I see the beach ball is happening more often than auto-saving (I upped the time and checked the latest auto-save)... not sure what's going on.

Brian Berdan
migrant filmworker

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Nov 30, 2009 at 11:41:16 pm

[Brian Berdan] "not sure what's going on. "

1) Trash prefs

2) Fix permissions using the Apple Disk Utility

3) Run Disk Warrior

If you're still having the same issue after all of these you'll most likely need a witch doctor or exorcist.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Nicole Haddock
on Dec 1, 2009 at 3:14:29 pm

By any chance is your computer set to sync to an iDisk of any sort? Some of my machines used to sync up automatically and I would notice some system issues. It's the only other thing I can think of that might be FUBARing the system other than what's been said here.

Out of curiosity, what happens when you start a new project, and copy/paste all the contents from the buggy one into a fresh project? Could work, I've seen crazier things happen!

Return to posts index

Brian Berdan
on Dec 1, 2009 at 3:28:59 pm

Hi Nicole,
All syncing had been turned off so that wasn't it.
And Rafael, perhaps my sentence wasn't clear, but I moved the project files off to a USB drive, not my media... my tires are nice and firm.
Perhaps I'll figure it out before I switch to my MacPro on monday.
Thanks

Brian Berdan
migrant filmworker

Return to posts index

Dean Sensui
on Nov 30, 2009 at 11:32:11 pm

I turned off Autosave and developed a habit of constantly hitting "command-S" whenever I have done several steps.

In the ancient past, "Autosave" used to cause more problems than not. And I learned to constantly save as I work. And then there are backups, too.

Dean Sensui -- Hawaii Goes Fishing

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 1, 2009 at 2:41:11 pm

[Brian Berdan] "Took project off of the same drive as media and put it on an external USB drive (slap my wrist for that one!)"
What means that, that you have the media in an USB HD?
You can not try to fix any performance issue having the media in an USB HD.
You can not complain that your car runs slower having four flat wheels.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]