FORUMS: list search recent posts

File vs Tape origin

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Micah Haun
File vs Tape origin
on Nov 29, 2009 at 5:40:36 am

I posted a few weeks ago about setting a clip's origin as file rather than tape based. I think it was moved to basic, and shouldn't have been. No matter.

Importing media using log and transfer will tag a clip as being file based so that it can be 'batch captured' again later with log and transfer rather than log and capture. As far as I can tell, this is out of reach of the user, but I could be wrong. Does anyone know how this association works and if there is a way to change it? This would be particularly useful for importing clips from other editors or that were converted in different ways.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: File vs Tape origin
on Nov 29, 2009 at 7:32:06 am

[Micah Haun] "I posted a few weeks ago about setting a clip's origin as file rather than tape based."

Yeah...read that. Have NO CLUE what you mean by that, and what your intentions are. Makes no sense.

[Micah Haun] "Importing media using log and transfer will tag a clip as being file based so that it can be 'batch captured' again later with log and transfer rather than log and capture."

Well, when you import with LOG and TRANSFER, the footage is tagged as being tapeless because, in fact, it is. And when you log and capture it, and then take it offline, like throwing it away...deleting it...to get it back you highlight the footage and hit BATCH CAPTURE.

[Micah Haun] "This would be particularly useful for importing clips from other editors or that were converted in different ways."

HOw so? I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 29, 2009 at 10:06:28 am

Yes the question is clear but a bit diffuse.
I don't think FC qualify the clips as File or Tape based.
Once your clips, as Shane says, are off-line, you have the option of Re-link or Re-capture the media whatever the original format.
If you try to re-link FC will look if the clip match his parameters (Reel, name, Format or whatever, not sure).
If you try to capture from a tape, FC will look for the Time Code and also some other parameters (Reel, Format ?) to match. I don't know exactly. i've never tried "capture" an EX-1 clip, but the option is available.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Nov 29, 2009 at 11:56:27 am

Export > Batch List, then reimport ... clip references generated by the Batch List import should then be recognized by Log and Capture. L&T association gone.

or

Export > XML (version 2 or version 1) then reimport that XML ... again, L&T association gone.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Nov 29, 2009 at 12:18:26 pm

Hi Micah
Just read your original post in the basics forum (and you are right, it doesn't seem very "basic" at all ... my guess is that it may have been moved in error during this teething stage with the new basics/pro vote system)

Anyhoo, off the reread I now realise your are trying to accomplish the opposite of what I've posted above ie you want to create L&T associated clip references rather not create L&C associated clip references.

Off the top of my head ... sorry not a clue. But I dare say someone will figure it out in due course. Doesn't help you immediately but patience is a virtue they say ...

Best
Andy

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 29, 2009 at 2:32:10 pm

[Andy Mees] "Just read your original post in the basics forum (and you are right, it doesn't seem very "basic" at all ... my guess is that it may have been moved in error during this teething stage with the new basics/pro vote system) "
Not basic at all. Difficult even to enunciate.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Seth Redlus
on Feb 18, 2010 at 6:19:59 pm

May I try to elaborate on this point, as I think I'm having the same issue.

We have a number of reels that are file based. Someone went through and logged the footage into smaller, individual clips.

When you try to reconnect the media in the bin, Final Cut Pro is expecting to see individual files for each clip, when in actuality, it should be looking for one file, and then taking out individual segments of that file.

To be upfront and honest, I have no experience in Log and Transfer, so I'm going to look into it now, but what I'm unsure of is how you could bulk import pre-logged clips like you would in a capture situation when you're file-based.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]