FORUMS: list search recent posts

Effect of Wrong Easy Setup on Ingested Media

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Taylor
Effect of Wrong Easy Setup on Ingested Media
on Nov 29, 2009 at 1:56:43 am

Some time ago, before I knew better, I ingested some P2 footage shot in 720p24 with the wrong easy setup. I used a DV-NTSC setup thinking it would be easier to output to DVD. As you can guess, by down-converting at this stage, the footage lost quality. Recently, I wanted to go back to the original footage to re-edit it in the proper codec (DVCPRO HD - 720p24). I figured I'd have to re-ingest all over again. But for the heck of it, I went ahead and copied some of the old clips from the SD DV project into the new HD project and dropped them into the timeline. The quality appears to be the full HD quality and no rendering was needed. So my question is: If you ingest with the wrong easy setup, is the ingested footage nevertheless brought into FCP in it's native format and does the setup then only affect the timeline of the particular project? Or do I need new glasses?

Anyone know how this works?

Thanks.

Rob Taylor

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Effect of Wrong Easy Setup on Ingested Media
on Nov 29, 2009 at 3:47:08 am

There is no changing codec on Log and Transfer, all it is doing is rewrapping the mxf footage in QT. the camera records DVCProHD and then is what you have, the downconvert happened when you placed the HD clips on the SD timeline. You can see all the settings in the columns in bin.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 29, 2009 at 3:48:54 am

I know how this works.

P2 in ingested in whatever format you shot. Your Easy Setup doesn't affect how it imports at all. All that happens is FCP copies the MXF files from the p2 card over to your Scratch Disk, wraps them into a QT file and marries audio and video together. So if you shot 720p24, then it came in 720p24. If you shot 1080i60, then it'd come in 1080i60.

But if you edit in a DV sequence, the footage will become DV to match the settings...it will render to that format. But if you take it and put it into a sequence that match the footage settings, HD, then it will be HD.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rob Taylor
on Nov 29, 2009 at 3:53:18 am

Michael and Shane, thanks to both of you for clearing this up. This is very cool. It will speed the re-edit greatly. Good stuff to know. Thanks again.

Rob Taylor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]