FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP contrast and color way off after Snow Leopard install

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Querns
FCP contrast and color way off after Snow Leopard install
on Nov 28, 2009 at 6:22:11 pm

Hello,

When I installed Snow Leopard the color and especially the contrast within Final Cut have been drastically inaccurate. It's not my monitor because I tested the source footage using Quicktime and it looks fine.

I am using a MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo with 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: FCP contrast and color way off after Snow Leopard install
on Nov 28, 2009 at 8:15:22 pm

[Adam Querns] "When I installed Snow Leopard the color and especially the contrast within Final Cut have been drastically inaccurate"

Its not inaccurate at all Snow Leopard displays images differently, so what you are seeing is probably perfectly normal.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/refinements/enhancements-refinements.html

It specifically sayas that gamma in 10.6 has changed.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Adam Querns
on Nov 28, 2009 at 8:50:57 pm

Interesting. Why do you suppose that the video image looks different when playing it in Preview or Quicktime?

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Nov 28, 2009 at 10:12:27 pm

[Adam Querns] "Why do you suppose that the video image looks different when playing it in Preview or Quicktime?"

Because quicktime always does that.

Return to posts index

Adam Querns
on Nov 28, 2009 at 10:31:10 pm

So you're saying Quicktime is the problem and not Final Cut? When I play it back in QT or Preview it looks accurate, the way it looked at the time of shooting.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Nov 28, 2009 at 10:59:04 pm

[Adam Querns] "So you're saying Quicktime is the problem and not Final Cut?"

No im just saying they display things differently.

The ONLY way to properly judge accurate color is NOT on a computer monitor. You need a calibrated broadcast monitor connected to a AJA or Black Magic card.

Return to posts index

Adam Querns
on Nov 28, 2009 at 11:22:15 pm

I'm sorry but isn't FCP and Quicktime one and the same? Quicktime runs the video we're seeing through FCP correct? To me there shouldn't be any difference between the two.

Just to reiterate if anyone else is reading this, when I play video in Final Cut the color and contrast are inaccurate. When I close or hide Final Cut and play the same source video though Quicktime or Preview they look fine.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Nov 29, 2009 at 12:40:06 am

[Adam Querns] "I'm sorry but isn't FCP and Quicktime one and the same?"

No they are not. The "QuickTime Player" & "Final Cut Pro" both use the core QuickTime components in the OS but each are separate applications that will show video slightly different.

Return to posts index

Joe Orange
on Nov 29, 2009 at 11:25:13 pm

It has to be said, all be it as a novice and without getting too deep into the whys and wherefores, that it is quite disappointing and baffling as to why one clip viewed in QT and FCP - both made by the same people Apple - should look so different, especially when the look is such an important part of the process.

My 10 cents worth

Return to posts index

Adam Querns
on Nov 30, 2009 at 12:58:37 am

I agree. And I am absolutely sure that the image in Final Cut is bogus. I realize that you have to monitor the image externally (which I'm doing) but there should be some resemblance. I'd like to know more about this, something a little more substantial than "that's just the way it is". This has never been the case before I installed that Snow Leopard! Here is an example:

Return to posts index

John Collucci
on Dec 1, 2009 at 11:16:33 pm

Hi Adam,

I am in total agreement with you that the image should not look drastically different, however, Final Cut has to manage different types of color values and it's possible there is a conversion happening.

Could you do me a fave, and troubleshoot this a little bit with us?

1) In finder, control-click your original file and select "open with" and choose Final Cut Pro.
Compare this opened file to the one already imported into the project or on the timeline.

2) Check your sequence settings. Is the codec the same as the source material? Encoders have different ways of handling luma levels, especially when dealing with YUV vs. RGB and so on.

Please report back with info.

Return to posts index

Adam Querns
on Dec 3, 2009 at 2:45:17 am

Hi John,

Thanks for chiming in. I did what you said and opened the file in the finder using Final Cut. Still looks the same. Also my sequence settings match. I've been editing on this machine for 4 years now and this only started as soon as I installed Snow Leopard.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Nov 30, 2009 at 2:13:19 am

[Joe Orange] "especially when the look is such an important part of the process"

Look is important yes but the ways computers display images is VARY different then they way a image is broadcast. So if you want accurate depiction of color you are ONLY going to get that by having the computer hooked up to a properly calibrated broadcast monotor via something like a aja or black magic card.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]