FORUMS: list search recent posts

EOS 7D file issue

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank Day
EOS 7D file issue
on Nov 27, 2009 at 7:32:48 pm

I recently purchased an EOS 7D to get the better 1080P video with much more creative control. This camera saves its output as a .mov file. My first efforts went well and I had no problems with some short test videos. Two days ago I took some footage of a program at a school. I downloaded the program into final cut without difficulty. The problem comes when I try to do anything with it. I have tried to apply the smoothcam filter and the filter seems to apply just fine. But, there is the red line above the sequence in the time-line, meaning it needs to be rendered. If I try to render it, Final cut "unexpectely quits". If I try to export it using quick time, Final Cut "unexpectely quits". But, I can export it using Quicktime conversion. This makes no sense to me. Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: EOS 7D file issue
on Nov 27, 2009 at 8:44:29 pm

[Frank Day] "This camera saves its output as a .mov file. "

That's correct, as far as it goes. But Quicktimes ALSO use codecs, which you didn't identify.

It could have been an incorrect frame rate: did you double-check that you shot at 29.97?

Even more likely, highlight a clip from this camera in the FCP bowser. As you look at the many details about it, you'll encounter the column for the codec, and you'll no doubt discover that it's H.264. H.264 is NOT an editing codec. You'll need to convert your footage to prores.

And you may have to fix the frame rate, too.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Frank Day
on Nov 27, 2009 at 9:44:56 pm

Yes, I am sure it is H264. It was strange to me that it seemed to work (it may not have worked well, but worked) when I tried it out a week ago. It also seems strange that it will do smoothcam and output in quicktime conversion but not quicktime.

Anyhow, I don't have a problem using compressor to change the file type when I bring it in. I have just done that and am trying it (smooth cam is rendering as we speak, I converted it to an XDCAM1080p file, the only 1080p format I could find).

Is what I did the best way of doing this conversion? Is there a format type you would recommend that I use to make this go smoothly.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 30, 2009 at 3:27:15 pm

[Frank Day] "Yes, I am sure it is H264. It was strange to me that it seemed to work (it may not have worked well, but worked) when I tried it out a week ago. It also seems strange that it will do smoothcam and output in quicktime conversion but not quicktime."

I'm not surprised by that. H.264 is NOT an editing codec. If you look at any of the innumerable threads about Canon cameras and FCP, you will note that they all say to convert the footage to ProRes, for the reason just mentioned.

And here's an additional reason to to convert that footage to ProRes in FCP: H.264 won't work well in AE. Read on:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 27, 2009 at 11:44:57 pm

Actually Dave, the 7D can be set for proper film and broadcast frame rates unlike the 5D which is stuck on 30.

And Frank, if you search the forum for Canon 5D you will see that the issues of correct codec, frame rate and audio sample rate have been discussed ad nauseum.

Return to posts index

Frank Day
on Nov 29, 2009 at 1:22:33 am

Thanks. I have been doing a lot of reading and learning (or so I hope). It looks like Canon has corrected a lot of the problems with the 5D in the 7D as the the 30 fps is really a 29.97 in the 7D and similarly for the 24, 25, 50 and 60 fps settings seem to be more correct for most uses.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 30, 2009 at 3:23:24 pm

[Michael Gissing] "Actually Dave, the 7D can be set for proper film and broadcast frame rates unlike the 5D which is stuck on 30. "

Sure. It can also be set improperly.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 30, 2009 at 11:10:35 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "[Michael Gissing] "Actually Dave, the 7D can be set for proper film and broadcast frame rates unlike the 5D which is stuck on 30. "

Sure. It can also be set improperly."

Just like any professional camera. So one of your major complaints about Canon has been fixed. Sure there are many more issues to go.

Nothing we can do about operator error but we can't blame Canon if 7D footage is shot at the wrong rate.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]