FORUMS: list search recent posts

send file larger than 2G

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
salah Elfalahi
send file larger than 2G
on Nov 26, 2009 at 10:23:58 pm

Hi all;
I usually work for AP to cover news for the Middle East. and now I've got an offer to work for myself by covering news to one of the ME channals, edit them and send them to be broadcasted the same day. i've never sent a video file via the internet before, and after little search, i found Mediafire and yousendit that offer 2G maximum to be sent via the internet.
Now, is there any other way to send bigger file? I would love to read the way that experienced people like you guys do it.
thanks very much in advance.

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: send file larger than 2G
on Nov 26, 2009 at 11:47:44 pm

If you have a second computer and a broadband Internet connection, you can easily set up FTP access and host your own files for them to download.

What format do you edit with? What are your delivery specs? In many instances you should be able to keep a news report under 2gb.

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Nov 27, 2009 at 4:07:32 pm

The file size isn't what concerns me, it's your bandwidth--the time it will take you to move the files. In most non-commercial situations, using non-dedicated sub-T1 capacity lines, the consumer sends files up to a server at about 1/10th the speed your clients might be able to pull them down. If you're working on a same-day turnaround deadline, you can't afford that kind of bottleneck. You've got to find a way to get your clients connected directly to your machine or you to theirs.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Nov 27, 2009 at 7:25:28 pm

[david bogie] "You've got to find a way to get your clients connected directly to your machine or you to theirs.
"

This is why I suggested setting up a second computer with FTP access. MacOSX already has this ability built in. It's pretty bare bones...no security whatsoever...but it might not be a big issue if its just one client accessing it (and its not his editing computer). With shareware/freeware you can make it more secure, with a little tinkering. Just pick up a cheap old G5 or G4 and you are good to go.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]