FORUMS: list search recent posts

My 24P conversion looks good to me. Am I doing something wrong?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gabriele Sartori
My 24P conversion looks good to me. Am I doing something wrong?
on Nov 26, 2009 at 6:54:20 pm

When I was on the Windows platform I always struggled with 24P conversion. I then switched to the Mac and bought a Canon HDV camera that I use in 24F mode. Everything is excellent.
The Canon however is often too big and intrusive. I just can't go around with that thing. For fun I bought a Sanyo Xacti 1010 a small, small camera but with a very good output quality for the cost an the size. the sensor is big at 1/2.5" and so are dynamic range and resolution so I decided to mix and match material from the two cameras hence a 24P conversion was necessary since the Xacti is 30P.

Terrified by the idea and reluctant about buying new SW just for this I used mpeg streamclip and exported in batch mode the H264 30P from the Sanyo to Apple HDV format 24P. The only setting I do I force mpeg streamclip to 23.976 fps and I don't do frame blending (results weren't good with blending). The conversion is tremendously fast and at the end I get fast mov files at 24P. To be honest they are excellent files and I'm surprised by the lack of visible artifacts. Audio is perfectly synchronized. I mix and matched them with the HDV files from my Canon with excellent results. RT editing works fine without the weight of H264.

For once in my life I'm surprised by the results. They seem too good to be true when I see people implementing pretty sophisticated methods in order to have a good 30P to 24P conversion. Am I doing something wrong? Please comment, it would be nice if somebody else experiments this simple technique.

Thanks
Gabriele

Gabriele - California

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: My 24P conversion looks good to me. Am I doing something wrong?
on Nov 27, 2009 at 5:27:17 pm

It doesn't sound like you performed a frame rate CONVERSION. It sounds like you CONFORMED the 30p footage to 24p. The motion would be a tiny bit slower, and the pitch of the audio would be a little lower when compared to the footage at the original frame rate.

If that's okay with you, then by all means, knock yourself out.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Gabriele Sartori
on Nov 27, 2009 at 6:07:28 pm

Dave, thanks for the answer
After reading your post (that indeed makes a lot of sense) I checked the files, both before and after the conversion. They last exactly the same down to the millisecond. Also there is no change in sound pitch. A 20% delta should be noticeable. The two clips show as 30P and 23.976P
I'm now wondering if there are two factors:
1)My 30P camera add a "healthy dose" of motion blur, so the artifacts are not so visible
2)My eyes are tolerant to the artifacts.

Funny, I'm trying to find a problem where I don't see one. It just seems too good to be true to have a conversion like that done quickly and with no effort. In any case, Kudos to the guy that did MPG streamclip. It is a very nice piece of SW.

Gabriele - California

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 27, 2009 at 6:24:20 pm

[Gabriele Sartori] "1)My 30P camera adds a "healthy dose" of motion blur, so the artifacts are not so visible
2)My eyes are tolerant to the artifacts. "

That's my guess. Frame rate conforming is easy. Frame rate conversion isn't. People have built entire businesses around their fancy -- and pricey -- frame rate conversion plugins. That's why I'm very skeptical that the freebie MPEG Streamclip is capable of doing it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]