FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting format for Pro-tools?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Max Christensen
Exporting format for Pro-tools?
on Nov 26, 2009 at 11:53:31 am

Hi Guys!

For quite some time we've been exporting FCP-sequences in a low .mov, sorensen3, 300K/S format.
as a referance to the sound-guys. Who all use Pro-tools HD 7.4

Any of you know about other formats that could work here?

Return to posts index

Max Christensen
Re: Exporting format for Pro-tools?
on Nov 26, 2009 at 12:03:25 pm

I was also wondering, if theres a small format that can be captured in Fcp6 or other programme direct, that goes into Pro-Tools. -So you'll skip the entire compressor-part.

Best!
Max

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
on Nov 26, 2009 at 2:57:50 pm

re: "skipping the compressor part":

I don't know if you consider this a "small" format, but I just delivered a show to a mixing facility and they required DV NTSC quicktimes to mix with. So I guess theoretically you could capture DV firewire directly and send to the post facility.

But it's really important to check with your sound house! Every facility is different. The place I mentioned above probably is using dedicated playback hardware. A smaller shop may not have the luxury.

Also, most facilities will want Burned In Timecode, so unless the material you are capturing has this, you probably at least need to ingest into FCP and apply a timecode filter.
Hope this helps,

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 26, 2009 at 1:07:22 pm

I send H.264 quicktimes to my sound designers along with the OMF Files.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
on Nov 26, 2009 at 2:45:45 pm

H264 is often fine, but it is a "modern" codec and as such is more processor intensive during playback. I've been using photo-jpeg lately, which is an older codec. It will result in bigger file sizes, but is also is less taxing on the Pro Tools station's CPU. I find this is a "safer" option -- especially if your sound person isn't running the latest gen hardware (which is often the case, in my experience).

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 26, 2009 at 5:50:38 pm

I use MPEG-4 for one place, DV for another, and H.264 for another. All want window burn in.

And no, you cannot edit these formats in FCP to skip the encode process for ProTools. But MPEG-4s render out of Compressor pretty quick, with the TC filter...if you have QMASTER set up to use all the processors.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Nov 26, 2009 at 11:17:22 pm

Using MPEG4 or h264 sounds a bit iffy in my book unless it's just used as a transport codec. There can also be quite iffy in terms of frame accuracy.

I've always sent Photo JPEG (half PAL res) or DV-files (full PAL res) to all sound studios that use ProTools for a video-reference, a AIFF-file for the a sound-mix reference and an OMF for the RAW sound-files. Older ProTools liked MJPEG when they used Igniter cards but asaik those aren't used anymore and the AVID hardware prefers something like DV.

------------------------
Erik Lindahl
Freecloud Post Production Services
http://www.freecloud.se

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 27, 2009 at 6:24:20 am

[Erik Lindahl] "Using MPEG4 or h264 sounds a bit iffy in my book unless it's just used as a transport codec. There can also be quite iffy in terms of frame accuracy."

There is no reason for this other than not setting frame rates correctly. If you use Quicktime conversion, set the frame rate manually not the default "auto".

I have both FCP and Fairlight Xynergi's and H264 files are preferred and frame accurate. Personally I don't want a T/c window but you should always ask.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Nov 27, 2009 at 1:17:03 pm

[Matt Lyon] "H264 is often fine, but it is a "modern" codec and as such is more processor intensive during playback. I've been using photo-jpeg lately, which is an older codec."

Been using H.264 since it came out, what three or four years ago now. None of the audio designers has ever complained about it or raised it as an issue.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
on Nov 27, 2009 at 5:26:45 pm

I don't doubt it at all that H264 is fine for lots of people... that's why I stressed the importance of checking with your sound studio, because everyone's needs are different. But try comparing the scrubbing performance of Photo-JPEG vs. H264: Photo JPEG smokes H264!

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Nov 30, 2009 at 4:32:13 pm

I work in a (primarily) audio post production studio and we prefer DV-NTSC quicktimes (720x480) for SD, and anamorphic DV-NTSC for HD on the older Pro Tools systems with Mojo video hardware. On the newer Pro Tools systems, we've outfitted them with Blackmagic Decklink Extreme cards and prefer DV-NTSC quicktimes (720x480) for SD and ProRes422 quicktimes (1920x1080) for HD. This document may be useful to you if your audio facility won't already tell you what they want:

supported video for Pro Tools

specifically the section:

Codecs
While Blackmagic Design cards support many video codecs, the following codecs are officially qualified for use with Pro Tools:

* H.264
* DVC Pro 100*
* HDV*
* DV25
* Apple Pro Res

*Only available when Appleā€™s Final Cut Pro is installed.

Personally, with testing, H.264 is fine but not great for scrubbing and spotting. Too much processing to interpolate frames. I-frame codecs (DV25/ProRes422) perform much better.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]