FORUMS: list search recent posts

Output From FCP Duplicate Frame Issues

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Clarke
Output From FCP Duplicate Frame Issues
on Nov 25, 2009 at 6:40:24 am

Guys,

I have quite an annoying little problem. I have a sequence in FCP original footage shot on EX3 1080 25p, sequence settings as that.

Edited up and everything was fine, went to output to Uncompressed, so QT .mov file with NOE selected as compression, for my colourist and I have getting 4 frames duplicated at the end of every shot before a cut!!!

Does anyone have any idea as to what might be occurring here??

I used EXPORT of the timeline and not Compressor to do this, which I am going to do now...

Thanks

Peter

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Output From FCP Duplicate Frame Issues
on Nov 25, 2009 at 1:25:06 pm

I guess I just haven't been in the business long enough.. maybe another 40 years I'll understand everything but what is NOE?

Post the exact workflow you used, and post what codec you started with and what you need to end up with for the colorist?

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things.

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays

Return to posts index

Peter Clarke
Re: Output From FCP Duplicate Frame Issues
on Nov 25, 2009 at 1:55:26 pm

Jerry,

NOE is 'NONE' when I type fast because I am stressed and overtired trying to get this film finished in two days!!! :0) Apologies for that.

I have in fact sorted the problem out but here are the details and the solution we came up with:

EX3 footage 1080 25p imported into sequence with these settings:

Frame Size: 1920x1080
AR: HDTV 1080 (16:9)
Pixel AR: Square
Field Dom: Upper (Odd)
Edit TB: 25
QT Video Settings: XDCAM EX 108025p

Exporting directly off of the timeline (file/export/using quicktime conversion) I used no compression, selecting NONE under the options, changing the frame size 1920x1080HD and leaving frame rate as current. That was my first mistake.

The finished .mov file from this output gave me a frame rate of 24.8fps, this was discovered when Smoke would not ingest the footage as it did not recognise the frame rate.

So I forced the frame rate, instead of leaving it on current frame rate at export, I selected 25fps. Smoke then recognised the footage and ingested no problem.

The 4 duplicate frame issue came up when we were grading, so I went back and copied my entire timeline onto another from scratch and re exported again. No luck!

My colourist was nice enough to come around to my place today and have a look at the settings, although not a FCP expert, he couldn't see anything wrong with the settings or output. I took a closer look at the footage and realised that every single cut in the film had the 4 frame duplicate preceding each cut, we were only picking them up before because they were on moving shots, you really had to look to see the duplicate frames on the shots with hardly any movement in them.

My colourist called a friend of his and he suggested trying to nest the timeline, which we did, re exported and bang! everything was fine....

It seems to me that this may be a Quicktime/FCP bug of some sort but I am not knowledgeable enough in FCP to know if I have in fact done something wrong with initial ingestion or with my sequence settings but my sequence does not show any signs of those duplicate frames until it is exported.

If you have any suggestions as to what I may have done wrong if anything, it would be greatly appreciated and if not, I hope our discussions might help someone else in the future, should they come across the same issue...

Excuse my rambling and possible lack of clarity but I am very tired and thanks for taking an interest and trying to help me out, I really appreciate it.

Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]