FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hi, Any Instand HD (by Reg Giant) Users Out here?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jiggy Gaton
Hi, Any Instand HD (by Reg Giant) Users Out here?
on Nov 25, 2009 at 4:35:41 am

Hi, client just gave me an FCP project for post, and suggested that I use Instant HD to make the SD project an HD project, or at least get HD output. So I read the manual (but admittedly I am crap at that) and there is a curious section called FCP workflow, which describes the resize during capture. My question to all: is there a way to use this tool to take an existing completed project and do the conversion? There is also a filter called re-sizer which has another set of manuals that I have not even got into yet. Wondering if I am barking up the wrong tree there...well, thx for any advice on getting started!

Phoenix Studios Nepal: A small A/V Production House in Kathmandu.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
John Knapich
Re: Hi, Any Instand HD (by Reg Giant) Users Out here?
on Nov 25, 2009 at 4:36:18 pm

On the Red Giant website, there is a video tutorial on using Instant HD. I just followed the instructions while watching the video. I need to bump up some 720x486 files to 720P. Seemed to work with some trial and error. I did find that it worked only on video files, not an animation I tried. NOt sure why.

FCP 6.06, OS 10.5.8 2x3GHZ Quad-Core Intel Xeon, Kona LHe, Dulce Duo-eSATA 8 Drive, 4TB Raid.

John Knapich
Creative Director/Partner
Assembypix.tv

Return to posts index

Jiggy Gaton
Re: Hi, Any Instand HD (by Reg Giant) Users Out here?
on Nov 25, 2009 at 6:09:36 pm

thx john, i just worked through the written tut and while painful, that worked. i get it now somewhat. i don't have any animation in this project so can't say, but when i get more time i will test for future projects, and all those have embedded motion files...cheers!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Hi, Any Instant HD (by Red Giant) Users Out here?
on Nov 25, 2009 at 5:01:07 pm

As to applying the effect to an entire project, I don't know if I'd do that. You'll be in effect cutting off the top & bottom of a 4x3 SD picture to make a 16x9 HD picture.

Unless you had too much headroom on each and every shot, I'd use it on a shot-by-shot basis.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jiggy Gaton
on Nov 25, 2009 at 6:01:10 pm

yes, I see what you mean, now that I have gone through the tut and figured this one out. I just don't get the point of the plug really. In FCP you can do the same things starting from a CCIR 601/DV PAL 720x 5:4 anamorphic sequence, output that, and load it into a HD 1440x1080(16:9) sequence and get the same thing it seems. I don't see any quality degradation, and this gives the client what he wants (an HD look on TV). What am i missing?

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Rafael Amador
on Nov 25, 2009 at 6:24:09 pm

Hi Jiggy,
RedGiant released InstantHD long, long ago, but the truth is that I haven't heard much about how it works.
What do you think about it?
Are you happy with the picture?
Can you compare it with Compressor?
Cheers,
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Jiggy Gaton
on Nov 26, 2009 at 2:10:16 am

Hi rafael, so this might explain my confusion, perhaps this plug was created for other NLEs, or for FCP before we had a timeline where you could throw anything on it, and scale it any which way? The picture looks the same either way. But I still feel like I am missing something (I pretty much brain dead at the moment from other more challenging projects, and thoughts of holiday vacation at the lake coming soon). Good to hear from you again!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 25, 2009 at 9:58:20 pm

[Jiggy Gaton] "I don't see any quality degradation, and this gives the client what he wants (an HD look on TV). What am i missing? "

When you say, "an HD look on TV", what does that mean? Does it mean the work will wind up on standard definition TV and not HD?

Cripes, if that's the case, just give 'em standard-definition 4x3 video, and letterbox it to look like 16x9.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Jiggy Gaton
on Nov 26, 2009 at 2:02:54 am

Dave, thx for your post. Yes, that was pretty much my thought too, but they came with the project and the plugin, and wanted the output to also be larger on their large widescreen HD monitors, minimum 1440x1080, from their project shot with an SD camera. [And when I get what sounds like nutty requests, I usually just nod my head and say ok hum, sure thing, we will see what we can do, come back tomorrow.]

So I just created an Apple HDV 1080p 1440x1080(1888x1062) sequence from the project provided, and I think it looks just fine, but I not too sure what I've done to the video. Do you?

I think this is what they wanted, no letterbox on the computer, but letterboxed when played on SD TVs/DVDs here (which is all we have).

Huh?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 27, 2009 at 4:20:50 pm

[Jiggy Gaton] "they came with the project and the plugin, and wanted the output to also be larger on their large widescreen HD monitors, minimum 1440x1080, from their project shot with an SD camera... I think this is what they wanted, no letterbox on the computer, but letterboxed when played on SD TVs/DVDs here"

Well, that's just weird. The way I see it, you can't make a one-size-fits-all version of this thing. You'll end up making three:
  • a 4x3 SD version for broadcast with letterboxing to retain the 16x9 look
  • an SD 16x9 DVD -- just about any DVD player on the planet can add the letterboxing for 4x3 sets and play in 16x9 for 16x9 monitors
  • something in HD that they can play back to show on their nice, shiny HD monitors. How are they going to play it back? Beats the heck out of me, because there's no use making a Blu-Ray disk if they don't have one, and DVD resolution is limited to 720x480, whether it's in 4x3 or 16x9

Hey, if they're willing to pay for all that, knock yourself out.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]